Topic Sponsor

5.4. One spark plug broken but not in the usual way...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 5.4. One spark plug broken but not in the usual way...

I'm doing the spark plugs at 105k on a 2006 5.4 and 7 of 8 came out fine with a bit of soaking and back and forth. The last one though did not. It is the very rear passenger side plug. As far as I can tell, which isn't much because of where it's at, it looks like the nut has completely separated from the plug. I have the Lisle tool, but I don't think it'll help in this particular case, right?

What is a guy supposed to do from here to get that last damn plug out? I'm going to try to get the nut out with a magnet, but what then? I need the truck tomorrow so hopefully I can get this figured out today.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Yep...Was able to get the damn threads out with a magnet. Damnit.

Any advice here will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 5.4. One spark plug broken but not in the usual way...-img_20160922_114441.jpg  
Old 09-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Lots of panic on my part over nothing. I found a video on youtube (
) and it was only then that I realized this is how the Lisle tool is supposed to be used, lol. Pulled the electrode out with pliers (Actually blew it mostly out with compressed air, then grabbed it), then crushed the porcelain. Unfortunately I don't have a socket big enough to do the extraction so that'll have to wait until the wife is home.

Here's hoping...

Quick Reply: 5.4. One spark plug broken but not in the usual way...