0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

5.0 swappin

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:03 PM
Future Ford Tech \m/

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 swappin

Hey would all would i need to do to swap my 5.0 with a 5.0 HO will everything bolt up fine and will i need the HO pcm and is this even a good idea someone offered me one for 250 and im wanting to do it but i would like some opinions from some more knowledgeable people
Old 09-19-2010, 03:23 AM

well...man...to explain what you would need would almost turn out to be an exact write up of HOW to do the swap....its a pretty long list if your just talking about a stock 5.0 long block. for starters...

You would need a compatible 60 pin HO computer. You would basically need an entire engine harness (you could pin swap + add wires to the truck harness but you really need to know what your doing but this is because the HO motor has SEFI not EFI , there are 2 02 sensors instead of 1, there is mass air meter not speed density. the stock exhaust isnt going to work unless you have the 02 bungs welded into the stock exhaust and you have to use the your truck headers/mani's to use the stock exhaust anyway...I think all HO motors out of mustangs don't have knock sensors.

These are the more "foggy" things I am aware of
- something with the power steering pressure switch is different
- definatly something with smog. smog heads vs non smog heads etc.

Theres a lot to determine depending on if your going to use the truck intake manifold or use the HO one. keeping egr? Keeping cruise control? If your truck even has it? Basically I KNOW theres more to this but I saw this post and started thinking of every little difference and I pretty much had writers block. Alot matters on your transmission as well... AOD e40d? manual?

If you are good enough to find a complete 95 f150 5.0 engine harness and you gather ALL the other parts your going to need + modify the new block/sensors etc. Modify the truck intake or just keep the stock ho one and you've got a engine hoist, a buddy and some beers this could literally be a friday night project which always winds up ending at about 4-5 in the morning BUT you seriously have to know and understand what your doing and why. Its not like anything catastrophic is going to happen but BELIEVE ME its going to drive you crazy if you miss something and in this case anything.

Im currently doing a Mass air conversion and its taken me about 2 months to gather everything I need but I also bought a HO firing order hydraulic flat tappet cam so I dont run into the mis-injector fire problem with most maf swaps. I'm also building a harness adapter instead of just swapping pins around. I'm sure you could search around and find a half decent write up or simliar.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Future Ford Tech \m/

well the guys selling me the ho and ho computer and i have the aod transmission and how hard would this be to do i should be able to rent an engine hoist so i should be ok there
Old 09-19-2010, 09:10 PM

1 - are the manifolds still on the engine?
2 - is the complete harness still attached to the engine? (is it cut anywhere?)
3 - is the intake still there?
4 - MAF ?

You could essentially use a mustang harness but you would have to extend a few things and you would more then likely have to relocate the ECU itself. (not that big of a deal). On a scale of 1-10 in difficulty id say its about a 5-6 but remember the fuel injection system is totally different and the way the computer manages the engine itself is basically totally different.

If you have a "front clip" 5.0 HO mustang I believe everything you need would be there aside from getting your exhaust to match up AND have the 02's read properly. The problem is not ALL HO motors had MAF though. ALL were SEFI but some were SD. You really need to know what your buying here especially if you DONT have any of the harness.

google ford fuel injection and its the first link, that will also explain a hell of alot. G/L though. But yeah BUY the motor/ECU for 250 but dont start tearing your truck apart until your sure you have everything
Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 PM
In the Great White North

Sounds like you're already sold on the idea so I say....GIVE 'ER!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Future Ford Tech \m/

iv read around and iv decided i dont want to do the swap because the performance gain isnt enough for the work because the engine has less low end torque but i do want to convert my truck to mass air so what all exactly would i need to get to do this and can i get what i need off of the HO engine
the engine is coming out of a crown vic i think he said it was a 97 but i dont remember
he said the car runs fine its just something with the front axle makes it undrivable so i should be able to get the engine the computer and the harness all in one from him also im not sure if its mass air flow or not but if it is could i do the swap from the ho engine
Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by jamesmccracken
iv read around and iv decided i dont want to do the swap because the performance gain isnt enough for the work because the engine has less low end torque but i do want to convert my truck to mass air so what all exactly would i need to get to do this and can i get what i need off of the HO engine
the engine is coming out of a crown vic i think he said it was a 97 but i dont remember
he said the car runs fine its just something with the front axle makes it undrivable so i should be able to get the engine the computer and the harness all in one from him also im not sure if its mass air flow or not but if it is could i do the swap from the ho engine
I am 99% sure no STOCK crown vic from the factory EVER came with the 5.0 HO motor (ASIDE FROM POLICE INTERCEPTORS) <-- which im still not even sure of. Somebody could have swapped the ho motor into the vic but how are you sure its an HO motor? what year is the crown vic? is there a maf? if theres a MAF theres a chance that it actually is an HO motor. Seriously now that you said its out of a crown vic I would not mess around with it. definatly not an HO ecu but like i said earlier unless you ACTUALLY know that its a HO/SEFI/MAF/windsor firing order/roller cam etc. etc. etc. dont even waste your money man, im telling you. save up and learn up first man. I dont want to burst your bubble or anything but I honestly think you'd be in over your head if you tried this by yourself.

go to fordfuelinjection.com for the maf conversion details or just google it. theres a bunch. My conversion is going to be pretty different from the normal one.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

If it's a 1997 crown vickie it's got a 4.6L in it, in which case you're completely SOL.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Future Ford Tech \m/

ill talk to him tommorow but the engine may be a swap idk i looked and the crown vic did come with a mas air 5.0 stock on some so could i still do the swap off of this engine or maybe even go back to doing the complete engine swap if that would be easier so whats your thought on this
Old 09-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Future Ford Tech \m/

Originally Posted by gone postal
If it's a 1997 crown vickie it's got a 4.6L in it, in which case you're completely SOL.
i think he may have just been wrong on the year i know this guy knows what hes talking about on a lot of stuff but idk when i looked it up the 90 to 91 crown vic came with a mass air 5.0

Quick Reply: 5.0 swappin