Topic Sponsor

No fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel

Hi just would like to know if anyone has had this problem i have a 1996 f1-50 4.9liter i have no fuel the fuel pumps are not coming on i drove truck this morning and now nothing i have checked all fuses they all are good from what i can see. I can hear a clicking when i turn key on. Help please thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

To verify a no run situation, is it fuel or ignition? Spray choke cleaner or starting fluid into the air horn, it should fire and run a short time.

In your fuse panel are some relays, one for the PCM and one for the fuel circuit, reverse them, if now the engine won't start with the spray the relay is bad. If still starts with spray, then the fuel pump is out, you will have to remove it to test further.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Thanks Good old Bill it will run on starter fluid but stop i will move fuses and try again. do you know if there is relay back buy tanks? and if one relay runs both tanks? Thanks again.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 AM

What are the chances of both pumps going bad at once?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Ya Good old Bill i moved the relays and it still starts on starter fluid i am completely lost on this it is just to hard for me to believe both pumps could go bad at once
Old 01-08-2011, 08:39 AM

Agree about dual pump failure, not sure about wiring schematics or fuel switch valve, years back both tanks and gauges feed thru switch valve, failure could mean failure of either pump. You need to find a schematic for your truck and troubleshoot from there.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:05 PM

Hi good old Bill i pulled one tank down and took out pump and it is working I'm thinking there is wire problem i did continuity check of the accident switch if that is what you call it and it is good but there is no power from that switch on to the tanks OMG I'm losing it do you think that the tank switch has anything to do with it? Thanks again for the help

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2011, 08:01 AM

Yes, the inertia switch or accident switch will affect both circuits, with power present at both sides of it but not at the pump, the tank selector switch could be the problem. You really need a wiring diagram, the best out there is the VOTM manual for your model truck. The VOTM (letters seem wrong in my dead brain, vacuun and electrical troubleshooting manual, its published for Ford and applies to models by year, it also give the location of the circuit connectors and modules. Helm, Inc. is the company, should be able to go on line, for a charge and get the diagrams for a couple day period of time. There is another source for diagrams on line, again brain fails me. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Hi Good old Bill i got it it was the tank selector switch i jumped the to center wires to two upper or low and it started right up. So thank you Good old Bill you have bin a great help.

Quick Reply: No fuel