Topic Sponsor

4.9L I-6 Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4.9L I-6 Dead?

So I have an 85 F-150 that was running great but is now not turning over. Last weekend it was driven without oil (Don't ask how this happened!). The truck was chugging along when I began to hear a high pitched knock in the engine. I immediately pulled over and noticed the engine was bone dry. Put in four quarts of oil and started the truck back up, it turned over and started but I could still hear the knocking, after 5 seconds the engine "locked up" and now will not turn over. I assume I will need to replace the engine but I am not sure. Any suggestions?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 AM

I would fill your motor with Marvin Mystery Oil and let it sit with that in there and see if it helps in any way. Other than that I would say you gotta pull the motor and tear it down. Good Luck!!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Upper Middle Class

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

If you ran out of oil, then that puppy probably seized up tighter than a virgin......................... uh oh, I better watch my mouth.... You get what I'm trying to say haha
Old 08-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Just call me sean. Really

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

Congratulations to the first man who isn't Just Call Me Sean to kill a 300. Now there's 2 people in the world that have done it!

That being said, you're probably boned here. If it seized up, you're gonna have to tear it down and rebuild, or get a new one
Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Default me 2

just happend to me, too! Now, im gonna rebuild. Oh well, havent done it since hs, should be fun! Bad thing is, i should have known better, first rule of travel is check the fluids!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

mine ran good on 2 qts of oil for about 2 months and then took a beating to with that much oil.. my truck never leaked oil untill i did the head and put headers on then it started leaking dont know why. then laborday weekend went to do a little mudding and well hydrolocked the motor now i am rebuilding.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM

Default there goes the neighborhood

dam if worst comes to worst try eBay motors other day i saw a 4.9l I6 300 for $200 no bids at that time if it was the part i needed i would've bought it in an instant but my issue is i have a rock solid truck but a 'ed EFI EEC-iv harness that is a to rebuild and is also out of production except at a few specialty harness builders no im not stupid when it comes to wiring and computers ect but that dam system ford has is a cluster in a hellhole to rebuild i have all the parts to do it but that dam harness is a bitch to build and ive built things with more wires than the city of LA im about to tear everything related to efi out of that thing and carb the block and wire the truck old-school i am looking for the efi and engine management as well as the under dash harness and related wiring harness for it will buy or trade for one in reasonable condition working preferred but intact is also acceptable heres the dossier on big red
year 1989
maker Ford
model F-150
color red
engine 300 series I6 4.9l efi
eec-iv prom code prefix E8TF
injection mode banked
driveline 2WD
trans Manual
eec-iv connector type 60 pin
factory options
cruise control (pain in the *** to repair and re integrate into wiring harness so its been removed)
dual tanks full bed
a/c
RABS (also removed from system to reduce wiring hassle)

Quick Reply: 4.9L I-6 Dead?