Topic Sponsor
Lowered-Trucks Come discuss your lowered Ford F150s

Front clunk noise

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Front clunk noise

I have heard this a few times going slow over big bumps.. turning doesn't seem to effect it. Sounds as if I'm bottoming out on the driver side. I have a fee pics. Maybe yall can see something. That driver side strut does look bent.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

don't see anything wrong.
the bent look: the strut cover can move you know.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:34 AM

I wonder what can be making the metal to matallic sound like bottoming out in the front. Is that normal? Maybe need new struts?

It's only going 5 to 10mph. I never heard it going Gast
And it's only when there is a good size bump. Sounds like one big CLUNK!
Old 06-09-2015, 09:48 PM

I have found what I hope was the issue.

Several things.

First of all four big bolts and nuts holding the lower control arm to frame was somewhat loose. I'm guessing 3 were around 1/2 to 3/4 turn loose and one on driver side rear being 2 turns loose. And driver side was what I was hearing.

Second part. The bottom of sway linkage nut was 3 to 4 turns loose on passenger side. Really loose.

So glad I crawled under there tonight. I sweated and get dirty from all the mud from the rains. But it was soo worth it. I'm hoping!!! Either way anything being loose isn't a good thing. It won't help to second check all your work after some miles.

What yall think. Could this bring the noise i was describing? thanks for all your help!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:19 PM
minitrucker

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

I'd say you found your problem. I think you are in need of an alignment now though. Mayb I'm wrong here but it seems like you've had movement in that lower arm.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM

1 lowranger. I'm afraid your absolutely correct. I just had a alignment done after the drop so that tells me they didn't tighten them back. So I have a decision
.. do I call and possibly go back there or just go somewhere else that's hopefully more careful... seemed like a good place.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM
minitrucker

I had a very similar issue at Firestone. They gave me my money back and I went else where. I'd atleast try to get compensated. Worst they can say is no. Go to the store so you are face To face and be nice at first. If they get pissy then I like to get a bit louder so the people waiting for there cars can hear how they did your truck and how they are making it right. Then get your money and go elsewhere. I hate to say it but tires plus has been great on the last 5 or 6 lowered trucks Iv had. They even align my bagged truck perfect. You can spring for the lifetime alignment that's about $90 and any issues such as this are free. My ranger was done that was almost 10 yrs ago and they still honor it.
The following users liked this post:
bayourunner (06-11-2015)
Old 06-10-2015, 12:05 PM
minitrucker

I had a very similar issue at Firestone. They gave me my money back and I went else where. I'd atleast try to get compensated. Worst they can say is no. Go to the store so you are face To face and be nice at first. If they get pissy then I like to get a bit louder so the people waiting for there cars can hear how they did your truck and how they are making it right. Then get your money and go elsewhere. I hate to say it but tires plus has been great on the last 5 or 6 lowered trucks Iv had. They even align my bagged truck perfect. You can spring for the lifetime alignment that's about $90 and any issues such as this are free. My ranger was done that was almost 10 yrs ago and they still honor it.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:40 PM

I'm here now and they are taking care of me. No questions asked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front clunk noise