Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Will flashing and Reprogramming GEM module work

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2023, 10:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will flashing and Reprogramming GEM module work

I have 97 f150 long bed super cab. The driver window has the amazing issue of not going down. I am trying to restore the truck to complete stock so i don't want to bypass it. I have seen those threads. The motor is new, the switch is new, relay is new. I have checked every wire and connection associated with this issue. I have narrowed it down to the GEM module. I have taken it out and inspected it and see NO water damage or burnt connections. It looks new. I have an idea to take it and get flashed and then reprogramed and see it that works. However it is going to be $130 for ford to do it. Before I take it in, has anyone ever tried this. Also Ford does not make GEM anymore so they quoted me $650 for a reman one $550 for just the module.

I have read and search multiple forums and cannot find if anyone tried this.
Old 11-17-2023, 10:37 AM

So for anyone reading this and has similar issues. Take this advice. I spent time and money replacing everything connected to the window. With no luck. I took apart the dash to look at the GEM module and it looked fine to me. No water damage. Put it all back together and still having the no down issue. I looked at the fuses in the beginning and they looked fine not blown. I decided to check the fuses again and found that both fuses connected to the GEM module had a loose leg part. Like you could hear the clicking when you squeezed them together. Replaced fuse and everything is working fine. CHECK THE FUSES GOOD.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bronco_guy:
Blondie70 (01-10-2024), Dee Veloper (11-17-2023), Jbrew (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 08:37 PM

Received 5,736 Likes on 4,774 Posts

Good to know!

You also should check the fuse block under the hood once in awhile. They like to corrode under the block making it very hard to notice....until you unbolt, and flip it over that is. What a mess that can be.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:18 PM

I am also getting my windshield resealed before any water gets to leak in on the GEM.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:50 PM

UPDATE: The window went back to playing its stupid games of not going down most of the time. I dont think its worth messing with gem because its my only issue. So I'm just going to do the bypass trick. If something else goes wrong with the GEM i will just replace it and connect the wires back.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:57 PM

2nd UPDATE: I was going to just cut the wire and do the bypass thing. Then today it rained quite hard and realized that the wipers are acting weird along with the famous F150 windshield leak at the top corner of the driver side. So it looks like I will be replacing the GEM module. Any tips on replacing them? I will still be getting the windshield resealed.
Old 01-09-2024, 08:45 PM

3rd and FINAL Update: So i got the windshield replaced along with extra sealant along the leaking spots. I then pulled the GEM out and dipped in 91% alcohol and brushed the leads off and looked for any water damage. Found some crud that the alcohol took care of. Put back together along with some dielectric grease. And all is working fine again. I have been driving for a few weeks now and no issues. Saved a ton of money using the alcohol trick.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bronco_guy:
Blondie70 (01-10-2024), manicmechanic007 (01-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Will flashing and Reprogramming GEM module work