Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

When you decide to sell.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default When you decide to sell.

I'm not selling my truck, but as I've been dumping more and more $ into it making it sweet, it makes me think about when that day comes I do sell. It's a 2000 and although I'm convinced a new motor was put on, the OD reads @ 230k. Has anyone here ever put $$$$$ into their old truck they sold? What kinda mind set did you take regarding recouping $, if at all? How do you go about selling something even with it's improvements when the what's stacked against you is the classic questions ppl base their yes or no on (e.g. mileage, age, etc.)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,145 Likes on 2,842 Posts

Originally Posted by brazenkane
I'm not selling my truck, but as I've been dumping more and more $ into it making it sweet, it makes me think about when that day comes I do sell. It's a 2000 and although I'm convinced a new motor was put on, the OD reads @ 230k. Has anyone here ever put $$$$$ into their old truck they sold? What kinda mind set did you take regarding recouping $, if at all? How do you go about selling something even with it's improvements when the what's stacked against you is the classic questions ppl base their yes or no on (e.g. mileage, age, etc.)
number one rule...aftermarket modifications do not increase vehicle value

the biggest thing is be open about any problems the truck may have like leaks or stuff that doesn't work. Also let any perspective buyer take it to their mechanic and have them look over it. Be open, don't try to hide stuff. But in the end its still a vehicle that is X years old with X amount of miles. Trim level also plays a lot into it as well. What features does it have? What engine? What transmission? ETC

Last edited by djfllmn; 02-22-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
number one rule...aftermarket modifications do not increase vehicle value

the biggest thing is be open about any problems the truck may have like leaks or stuff that doesn't work. Also let any perspective buyer take it to their mechanic and have them look over it. Be open, don't try to hide stuff. But in the end its still a vehicle that is X years old with X amount of miles. Trim level also plays a lot into it as well. What features does it have? What engine? What transmission? ETC
I suppose the bottom line is to enjoy the --ck out it and when you sell you can just consider it time and money well spent!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was told long ago that you do not modify or put aftermarkets on your vehicle to get money back in the end. You do it because you love it! Same goes for restoring old vehicles.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 6,482 Likes on 4,618 Posts

I haven't done much to my truck by way of "aftermarket". I actually like these things pretty close to stock. The only aftermarket thing I've really done is put lights behind the grille..... and coincidentally, I was pulled over for having "more than four forward facing lights" this morning.

My Mustang though.... I'll dump money in that all day, no problem..... lol.
The following users liked this post:
kd4gij (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,505 Posts

I, conversely, have done a *bunch* of modifications, but plan to drive the truck until the wheels fall off. Nothing I've done has been for the sake of improving resale, just my enjoyment of the truck.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:51 PM
mbb

Received 900 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by brazenkane
To get ANY money out of repairs, you have to drive it out. Repairs, are simply repairs. If you sell it, you simply lose your ****. You "might" find a buyer that values something a tad more than all original,but dont count on it. Many replacement parts, and work, are substandard compared to original.

Last edited by mbb; 02-22-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

These trucks are too old to be desirable and not old enough to be collectors items. Resale on these trucks will not likely ever be as good as what you paid for it. However they are cost efficient for their intended use so use it and drive it. Fix it when it breaks and do you scheduled services to keep it from breaking prematurely. Sure, spend a few bucks so it is comfortable, but why waste money on the frivolous stuff that doesn't matter?

Good luck.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,505 Posts

"Frivolous stuff" like a nice audio system, backup camera, auto-dimming mirror, auxiliary lighting, one-touch windows, remote start, extra power outlets, and the like? Because it allows me to enjoy driving it more, and adding them was a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a newer truck that already has those things.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
"Frivolous stuff" like a nice audio system, backup camera, auto-dimming mirror, auxiliary lighting, one-touch windows, remote start, extra power outlets, and the like? Because it allows me to enjoy driving it more, and adding them was a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a newer truck that already has those things.
There's actually a YT vid where a guy buys an F150 for like 1500 and makes everything new in it. He spent like 8k+. He compared it to a modern truck that he liked and pointed out that he's still 20k+ away from being able to afford it and now he's got something essentially brand new. I totally get it!

Quick Reply: When you decide to sell.