Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

When its raining my truck goes crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When its raining my truck goes crazy

I need a hand to guide me in the right direction. I have a 2000 f150 with the 5.4 2wd....everytime it rains my truck goes nuts....yesterday it was raining i started my truck and tried to turn on my windsheild wipers. They wouldnt turn on....so i backed out of my drive way put it in park and it released my brake pedal and it allowed me to set the wiper speed. But as i was drivong it wouldnt let me change it. Seemed as tho if the truck was in gear or foot on the brake it wouldnt let me change the wiper speed. So i got home truck sat all night it rained until about 10pm this morning i come out and my radio and vent fan is blowing with no key in or anything. So i have no idea how long my radio and fan had been on. I got in the truck and tried to start it and it would crank but wouldnt start. I disconnected the battery for about 20 seconds hooked it back up and the truck fired right up.....what the heck is going on...obviously water is getting somewhere it isnt supposed to. Bit fuse box inside the engine bay and cab where bone dry but i didnt have time to check throughly around the computer and GEM module as i was running late to work. Any help would be awsome!
Old 09-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The GEM is messed up. The moisture is somehow getting into it and causing the ground out. It is definitely GEM related, but could be a grounding issue, causing the GEM to do what it's doing, but not as normal as moisture in the unit itself. Make sure you get the same number as the one you have, if you go to a wrecking yard to get a replacement. Dealership prices on this item are unbelievable. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
The GEM is messed up. The moisture is somehow getting into it and causing the ground out. It is definitely GEM related, but could be a grounding issue, causing the GEM to do what it's doing, but not as normal as moisture in the unit itself. Make sure you get the same number as the one you have, if you go to a wrecking yard to get a replacement. Dealership prices on this item are unbelievable. Good luck.

Awsome thank you! It seems fine now that everything is dry ill see if i can find the moisture leak around the gem module and seal it....hopefully i wont have to get another one. But thanks fir the tip on the numbers matching. I wouldnt have thought about that for the GEM
Old 09-09-2015, 10:01 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

9/10 says it's your windshield leaking on the drive side seam.

Get it done professionally.
Old 09-09-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tackle

Ill check it out but i have a strange feeling i know where it may be leaking through now that i got out and had a chance to look....it seems its around my door seal where i have brackets in there for my light bar and noticed moisture trapped behind the little plug for the oh-**** handle bolt and water trapped in the tube for my a/c vent right next to the drivers side door

Last edited by DezertRat; 09-09-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:10 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackle

Yep, mine was leaking, I had local dealer remove, reseal windshield, $130, fixed problem. And, I caught it before it messed up the GEM mess! It was causing some strange issues already, but has been mostly garage kept its whole life, so as soon as heater fan started running when parked, I got on here, asked questions, learned wha' it was, immediately got windshield resealed. Knuckahaids who originally installed windshield.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was windshield. Did the exact same thing, blower still going with key out, my 4x4 light would flicker on/off, wipers go crazy, I had my windshield replaced and the new seal solved it. Luckily no permanent damage was done other than my one-touch window relay doesn't work anymore, but I hate that feature anyways!
Old 09-27-2015, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Davoarts
Mine was windshield. Did the exact same thing, blower still going with key out, my 4x4 light would flicker on/off, wipers go crazy, I had my windshield replaced and the new seal solved it. Luckily no permanent damage was done other than my one-touch window relay doesn't work anymore, but I hate that feature anyways!
Haha nice! Basically the exact same thing with my truck luckly i live in the desert so i have the ability to take my time with this since we see rain 3 days out of the year here. But thos weekend i plan to see if its coming from my windsheild or where i fabricated the LED light bar mount on my cab. Thanks for the input folks!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 PM
Debrad72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gem

Originally Posted by DezertRat
Awsome thank you! It seems fine now that everything is dry ill see if i can find the moisture leak around the gem module and seal it....hopefully i wont have to get another one. But thanks fir the tip on the numbers matching. I wouldnt have thought about that for the GEM
what’s a GEM?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:22 PM

Received 5,558 Likes on 4,635 Posts

Generic Electronic Module
The following users liked this post:
D The Riot (10-19-2022)

Quick Reply: When its raining my truck goes crazy