Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Wheel shimmy getting bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Wheel shimmy getting bad...

I've put it off for months, but the wife keeps telling me the wheel is shimmying badly on my 01 SCREW so I finally took it for a long ride and man was she right! At about 40-50mph its shaking pretty bad! I put it on the lift and check normal items and see no issues but my father tells me its likely a idler arm or something in the steering linkage worn out?? The ball joints and tie rods are less than a year old and went on with the 4" RC lift.

I'm either thinking one of the 35's have tossed a wheel weight or maybe it is something in the steering linkage??
Old 05-25-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing you want to do is make sure that your tires are good and balanced. If everything turns out okay, the next thing I would check would be the wheel bearings.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Born to a Ford Family

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires would be the first thing I check, not only balance, but condition. Bad belts, cupping on the tread (indicates other issues).

Rotate your tires front to back and ss if you get any change. (You should be rotating them every oil change any how...)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

yea..... haven't exactly rotated the tires in a long time! I think I'll try that first! I guess sometimes the simplest things can be overlooked...
Old 10-08-2014, 09:16 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't mean to reseract and old thread, but why start a new one? I have the same issue. My shimmy intensifies over poor road surfaces. I am going to get the wheels balanced, and check it out. I have been looking for worn parts in my suspension and haven't found any. I did find the idler arm to be bad about 2 months ago and have since replaced it, but there was no affect on the shimmy. I might be getting to the point where I replace the lower ball joints and the tie rods. (ive already replaced the upper control arms, and the idler arm) Truck has 100k on is, so it's probably near the end of their service life anyhow.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyroc14
Don't mean to reseract and old thread, but why start a new one? I have the same issue. My shimmy intensifies over poor road surfaces. I am going to get the wheels balanced, and check it out. I have been looking for worn parts in my suspension and haven't found any. I did find the idler arm to be bad about 2 months ago and have since replaced it, but there was no affect on the shimmy. I might be getting to the point where I replace the lower ball joints and the tie rods. (ive already replaced the upper control arms, and the idler arm) Truck has 100k on is, so it's probably near the end of their service life anyhow.
Rotate the tires, that fixed my brother problem.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
Rotate the tires, that fixed my brother problem.
I'll try that. But I think it happened before i rotated them last time as well... I am thinking my wheel is out of balance.

Quick Reply: Wheel shimmy getting bad...