Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

What's up with this spark plug I just took out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up with this spark plug I just took out?

Hey guys, admittedly total noob at wrenching so I'm a bit stumped. Changing spark plugs today and the third plug (from front) on passenger side came out fine but looks like the following. I didn't realize after taking it out that it looked like this so I went ahead normally trying to put the new plug in its place. I did so by hand to get it started so I didn't cross thread but I was really struggling. It would turn a little and tighten a bit but then it would hit a point where it would not tighten anymore; would just spin. I started panicking that I cross threaded even though I was only using my hand. However, I was able to take the plug out and try again. After taking it out and trying again multiple times ( I lost track ) I finally decided to inspect the original plug which looks like the following. After seeing it in this state as it clearly looks very different from a normal plug I then tried putting the original plug back in so I could at least use the truck and voila it went in with relatively no problems and I was able to torque it down to 20 ft. lbs. So now I'm stumped. Why does the original plug look like that, can thread no problem, and is able to be torqued fully, but a new plug will not go in at all? Why does the original plug appear to have 2 thread sizes on it?

Old 09-10-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Besides being lean, it has a Heli-coil Klingon.
The following users liked this post:
rsylvstr (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 12:44 AM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Compare that plug to a normal plug, side by side, and you'll see the difference. You need to get a thread insert of the proper length. The one the PO used is too short, and came out with the plug.

Somebody before you stripped the threads in the head and did a crappy job of fixing it is the short answer.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:51 AM

One example - https://www.wurthusa.com/web/en/webs.../time_sert.php

Search Time sert or Helicoil and you'll find more.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
Somebody before you stripped the threads in the head and did a crappy job of fixing it is the short answer.
Most likely it was just the plug blowing out that these engines are know for, not a previous poor install.
It is a poor repair though, it needs a Time-Sert repair, not a helicoil.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:34 AM

Thanks everyone. Since there was already a repair attempt by previous owner on this thing can I do a repair on top of the repair attempt or am I looking at potentially damaging this permanently?
Old 09-10-2018, 09:48 AM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Damage has been done. Have you tried removing that insert from the plug? Maybe you can put a new plug in it and be on your way.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:06 AM

:-) great idea, I have not tried removing it from the plug. Thought about taking it off yesterday (not to re-use) but wasnt sure how to grip it without damaging the threads. Will maybe give that a go. I dont think I have the skills to redo the threads in the head, especially since that 3rd plug location is a bit awkward to get at.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time sert = bigsert?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 01-7700
Damage has been done. Have you tried removing that insert from the plug? Maybe you can put a new plug in it and be on your way.
That insert is too short. If he could match the insert thread pattern, find the same brand, he could probably get a longer insert and install it in the already tapped hole. Probably push some carbon down in to the cylinder as the new insert cleans the threads. The threads in the head should already be tapped for the insert threads, all the way through.

Quick Reply: What's up with this spark plug I just took out?