Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Upgrade Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Upgrade Questions.

I want to get some extra pow out of my 2002 4.6l.
What i want is a performance intake manifold preformance cam and heads but they don't seem to make them for my 4.6 liter only the Mustang.
I dont think the parts are interchangeable. Does anyone know? Does anyone know a place to get some top end power?

So if i cant find upgraded part how about a port and polish on the stock heads and intake manifold? Is this possible being that they are factory and aluminium?

My tuck is quick with good power but i want that little bit extra. After i can get the top end i want to the exhaust with some shorty 50 state legal headers and build it all the way back to the tail pipe.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 5,670 Likes on 4,727 Posts

Same engine as the stange, different intakes. Trucks have truck intakes (tall and torquey) Car lines have short intakes, they need less torque and gain more speed vs the other. Engines are the same though. You can spend some bucks on head work. That CAN BE money well spent...but yea,- BUCKS!

Shorty headers do absolutely nothing for a modular engine. This would be what not do, specially after dumping a wadd into the heads....make no sense. So your already building your exhaust wrong...in any state. Unless you going for looks (weird). Sounds like you have a little more research to do before planning something good. You can do quite a bit of good with the exhaust on these trucks when built correctly. Long tube header are must...no buts about that.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Same engine as the stange, different intakes. Trucks have truck intakes (tall and torquey) Car lines have short intakes, they need less torque and gain more speed vs the other. Engines are the same though. You can spend some bucks on head work. That CAN BE money well spent...but yea,- BUCKS!

Shorty headers do absolutely nothing for a modular engine. This would be what not do, specially after dumping a wadd into the heads....make no sense. So your already building your exhaust wrong...in any state. Unless you going for looks (weird). Sounds like you have a little more research to do before planning something good. You can do quite a bit of good with the exhaust on these trucks when built correctly. Long tube header are must...no buts about that.
I wish but there is only 5.4l long tube headers.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Duces2you
I wish but there is only 5.4l long tube headers.
No no no...that is incorrect. Plenty of 4sixes running around with 5four headers. The 4six and 5fours use the same heads, identical castings. The only problem I've seen on some of the 4sixes is one primary barley hits the drive shaft on the 4x4's. There's work around's for that.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
No no no...that is incorrect. Plenty of 4sixes running around with 5four headers. The 4six and 5fours use the same heads, identical castings. The only problem I've seen on some of the 4sixes is one primary barley hits the drive shaft on the 4x4's. There's work around's for that.

Does that mean i can get a 5.4L's heads for my 4.6L or just the Headers?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Duces2you
Does that mean i can get a 5.4L's heads for my 4.6L or just the Headers?
You already have 5four heads. Same heads are also on the V10's. The only difference is 2 more cylinders. This was the era of the Modular Engines. All are pretty much the same.

Last edited by Jbrew; 10-31-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,349 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Bottom line: If you want more power (with any hint of reasonable HP/$):

1) Blower
2) New(er) truck

If you need to replace the manifolds anyway, then throw on some headers, etc. Intake and head work will net you some increases, but in my opinion, not enough to offset the hassle and (a lot) money spent. You'll likely lose that low-end torque jbrew mentioned, too.

Just my $.02 and maybe worth about that.