Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Truck won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start!

i own a 1997 f150 XLT extended cab and it just pooped out on me this Tuesday. I believe my fuel pump went out but there was no sign to it going out before it completely went it? I was at a complete stop and proceeded to go and my rpms jumped and smoothed out but about 15 feet later my truck died on me while in drive and wouldn't start back up. I did a fuel pressure test myself with the kit on the fuel line as I started it I was getting 0 psi. I dont know if this i the fuel pump or the distributer cap could be bad? Any ideas?
Old 01-22-2017, 12:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

0 psi on the fuel rail could certainly be the distributor cap. But I would first see if power is getting to the fuel pump. Check the fuse/relay which is the easiest.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:08 AM

Default Truck

Originally Posted by twoskinsoneman
0 psi on the fuel rail could certainly be the distributor cap. But I would first see if power is getting to the fuel pump. Check the fuse/relay which is the easiest.
ive checked the relay as it didn't seem bad and switched it with another relay fuse to see if changed anything and it didn't.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Then check power at the pump and go from there.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:25 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ross Findley
ive checked the relay as it didn't seem bad and switched it with another relay fuse to see if changed anything and it didn't.
I would get a voltmeter and check for 12v at the Inertia Switch output line which is probably Pink/Black. That wire goes right back to the fuel pump.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 AM

You should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on with the fuel cap off and an ear next to it, you might need someone to turn the key while you listen.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:16 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by twoskinsoneman
Excuse me. What distributor cap are you talking about. Those went away before our trucks. Gen 10's don't use distributor caps.

Could you be talking about a fuel pressure regulator? It's not the FPR. Electrical or bad pump. (Electrical is fuses, wiring, relay, inertia switch, etc). Leaning to the pump, but that's without testing it.

Last edited by akdoggie; 01-24-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:20 AM
Yeah I'm THAT guy

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Excuse me. What distributor cap are you talking about. Those went away before our trucks. Gen 10's don't use distributor caps.

Could you be talking about a fuel pressure regulator? It's not the FPR. Electrical or bad pump. (Electrical is fuses, wiring, relay, inertia switch, etc). Leaning to the pump, but that's without testing it.
Lmfao it's 2:20 in the morning here and I was trying to figure out if I was reading that correctly or not but my response would have been right on par with yours or at least I think hell idk maybe I'm going back to bed
Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by akdoggie

heh heh heh. It was a sardonic remark. Perhaps a bit condescending even. My apologies.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No problem. I just found it a bit off, considering the poor guy was brand new and didn't have any idea of what to do. Confusing him more wouldn't of been too helpful. lol

OP. pull the fuel filter and see if you have flow with the key on. I'm thinking you won't have much if any. It should shoot out like a rocket with 30+ #'s of pressure. I think your pump has taken the proverbial dump. Hope your tank isn't full. Good luck.