Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Transmission/rear diff fluid flush and change

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission/rear diff fluid flush and change

how hard is it to accomplish these tasks? i hit 109,000 miles and i figure its time to change it out and new plugs etc.. i know i can do plugs but I have never done tranny flush. im not a complete novice and have a friend help. whats all required to change these fluids , any info would be helpful , thanks
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Differential is easy just pop the cover off clean out all the fluid and reseal and refill. A full tranny flush you'll have to drain the torque converter and drop the tranny pan
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I assume you mean a transmission service. A flush would require a tranny flusher. A service is quite simple. Remove the trans. pan (careful-it's FULL) Thoroughly clean the pan & magnet. The hard rubber gasket is re-usable and better than the soft cork style that comes with the kit. You then need to remove the filter and the filter grommet. Install the new grommet and be sure it's properly seated. Push the filter neck up into it and position it the same way as the old one.Re-install the pan and torque pan bolts to 100lbs/in.Fill the trans. with fluid. Road test it and re-check fluid level.

Before servicing the diff, determine whether it's a limited slip. If it is you'll need a friction modifier to add to the oil. Remove the diff cover with a pan below it to catch the oil.Scoop out every bit of oil you can get out of it. Clean cover and gasket surfaces thoroughly. Be sure that you don't have oil running down onto gasket surface-this will cause the silicone gasket to leak. Apply a bead of silicone to the cover and install it. Let the silicone dry before putting oil in (drying time =2 beers). Remove the fill/check plug and fill the diff til oil is level with the bottom of the hole. When removing the plug, be sure to tap the 3/8 extension into it before you turn it. If you round out that plug-your life just got very miserable. Done! Road test.

Last edited by udderbrudder; 08-03-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM

thanks for the info and yes, i did mean a transmission service thanks!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Best silicone to use is RTV
Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 AM
"ONE FOR THE ROAD"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flush?...Bad idea.
Drain and fill?...Much safer idea.

Just sayin...

Last edited by F-150CHARLEY; 08-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by udderbrudder
I assume you mean a transmission service. A flush would require a tranny flusher. A service is quite simple. Remove the trans. pan (careful-it's FULL) Thoroughly clean the pan & magnet. The hard rubber gasket is re-usable and better than the soft cork style that comes with the kit. You then need to remove the filter and the filter grommet. Install the new grommet and be sure it's properly seated. Push the filter neck up into it and position it the same way as the old one.Re-install the pan and torque pan bolts to 100lbs/in.Fill the trans. with fluid. Road test it and re-check fluid level.

Before servicing the diff, determine whether it's a limited slip. If it is you'll need a friction modifier to add to the oil. Remove the diff cover with a pan below it to catch the oil.Scoop out every bit of oil you can get out of it. Clean cover and gasket surfaces thoroughly. Be sure that you don't have oil running down onto gasket surface-this will cause the silicone gasket to leak. Apply a bead of silicone to the cover and install it. Let the silicone dry before putting oil in (drying time =2 beers). Remove the fill/check plug and fill the diff til oil is level with the bottom of the hole. When removing the plug, be sure to tap the 3/8 extension into it before you turn it. If you round out that plug-your life just got very miserable. Done! Road test.
Do you know what the torque number is for the diff cover bolts? Anyone know where to get a list of torque numbers for bolts throughout an 04-08 STX??

Last edited by chubbsoluv; 01-21-2014 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

My '02 is at 93,000 miles, and I'm thinking about transmission flush/service/change too. I've read so many things about flush - yea/nay, hard to decide, but I want clean new fluid.

Also, what about the kind of differential oil? Doesn't the limited slip/locking diff require some kind of special oil? Conditioner or some sich?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbsoluv
Do you know what the torque number is for the diff cover bolts? Anyone know where to get a list of torque numbers for bolts throughout an 04-08 STX??
33 lbs/ft
The following users liked this post:
chubbsoluv (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by iFord
My '02 is at 93,000 miles, and I'm thinking about transmission flush/service/change too. I've read so many things about flush - yea/nay, hard to decide, but I want clean new fluid.

Also, what about the kind of differential oil? Doesn't the limited slip/locking diff require some kind of special oil? Conditioner or some sich?
The machines that the shops use for a transmission flush force the fluid through the system. I have heard horror stories about people ruining perfectly good tannies as the result of a flush. If there are pieces of metal in your fluid, the flush forces them at higher than normal pressure though the internals...NOT good. If I were you, I would just drop the pan, change out the filter, and put 5 qts of fresh fluid in for a normal service. This will give you a chance to inspect the old fluid that comes out and the magnet in your pan. If the fluid is still pretty red and the magnet has a little bit of metal particle paste on it and the pan is pretty clean, then a service is all you need. You can also do your next couple of services sooner and it will eventually get you better fresher fluid throughout.

As for the gear oil, your diff should have one or two tags on it. One will definitely tell you what type of rear end you have and the other (if you have it) will tell you the type of gear oil it takes. That said, Ford is now putting 74W-140 in everything. And if you have a limited slip rear end, you need to put in a bottle of friction modifier so that the clutches work properly. Some of the high end oils have the friction modifier in them already, but I would get the 4oz bottle of modifier from your dealer for $6 and add it anyway. I use the full synthetic Royal Purple and it comes with the modifier already in it, but I still add the bottle of modifier from Ford.

Quick Reply: Transmission/rear diff fluid flush and change