Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem

I have a 1999 F150 automatic Lariat.
My OD is flashing and I have problems with the transmission. The OD is flashing all the time. In 'D', it seems like the transmission skips the 1st and 2nd gear. In '1' and '2' there are no problems at all.

I am living in Bonaire, a small island in the Caribbean, and the problem here is a lack of good (Ford) knowledge. I went to a so called Ford mechanic overhere and in first instance he said there was no mechanical problem with the transmission because 1 and 2 works fine. He thought it's a electrical problem and he checked sensors (and more?) for more than a week. HE couldn't find the problem and he only changed the transmission fluid. Now he said I have to replace the transmission ($1300!) to solve the problem?? If it's so that this is the only solution I am not happy but so be it. Because of his change of story I am not sure about it.

Next week the car goes to another mechanic and I hope he can fix it. I checked this forum and it looks like it can be a variety of problems like:

- Trans Range sensor
- O2 sensor
- VSS. Variable speed sensor
- fuse 23
- broken shift fork

Does anyone have (more) ideas in which direction they must look to help me out?

Thanks and have a nice day.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonaire George
I have a 1999 F150 automatic Lariat.
My OD is flashing and I have problems with the transmission. The OD is flashing all the time. In 'D', it seems like the transmission skips the 1st and 2nd gear. In '1' and '2' there are no problems at all.

I am living in Bonaire, a small island in the Caribbean, and the problem here is a lack of good (Ford) knowledge. I went to a so called Ford mechanic overhere and in first instance he said there was no mechanical problem with the transmission because 1 and 2 works fine. He thought it's a electrical problem and he checked sensors (and more?) for more than a week. HE couldn't find the problem and he only changed the transmission fluid. Now he said I have to replace the transmission ($1300!) to solve the problem?? If it's so that this is the only solution I am not happy but so be it. Because of his change of story I am not sure about it.

Next week the car goes to another mechanic and I hope he can fix it. I checked this forum and it looks like it can be a variety of problems like:

- Trans Range sensor
- O2 sensor
- VSS. Variable speed sensor
- fuse 23
- broken shift fork

Does anyone have (more) ideas in which direction they must look to help me out?

Thanks and have a nice day.

SOLVED! (low cost )

2 different garages said I had to replace the transmission. Maybe stubborn but I didn't trust it, the third one checked it again. Codes were 0743 and 0750, torque converter and shift solenoid. The solution was rather simple, replacing the wires!

After the replacing no more codes, no more O/D flashing. Car is driving fine now, the power is back!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

Thanks for the update! Glad you got it fixed.

Now you know which shop to bring it to in the future.

Quick Reply: transmission problem