Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Tranny drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 05:59 PM
The Bear

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Where the frig is the drain plug on these transmissions? Below is a pic of the tranny pan, is that a protective cover or is the plug somewhere weird?

Tranny drain plug?-image-4123686653.jpg

Tranny drain plug?-image-3562843944.jpg

The only thing I can figure is that that is a cover for the pan and the drain plug is under that hump. But I don't want to go pulling stuff off without knowing for sure. Apparently whoever had this truck before me over filled it and I need to drain some out. It's shifting funny so I hope it doesn't already have permanent damage, it's only shifting funny on overdrive. Steepen 40-50 MPH. If I accelerate in OD at those speeds it kind of jerks. But once I get over 50 it doesn't do it anymore.

Last edited by FordmanUGA; 08-05-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I think you have to drop the pan. And if there is a yellow bobber it hasn't been changed since if was bought.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

Like jacob said there is no plug you have to drop the pan. Since you have to take it off would be a good idea to change the gasket and filter
Old 08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
The Bear

Thanks Jacob and greenhead. Well that sucks, guess I'll just take it somewhere and get a filter and fluid change done. That fixed our Trooper when it was shifting weird, if that doesn't fix it I'll go from there.

I was hoping I could just drain a little fluid and see if that helped, the fluid looks new, no discoloration so I doubt it's what came in the truck.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:30 PM

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Your welcome. how many miles you have? I doubt its original to. I wouldn't get it flushed.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM

Haha we have a trooper with the same exact problem!!! If i were you id get the kit from autozone (yes i know, autozone) and change it yourself. Its real easy and can save you some cash. My truck wasnt shifting into overdrive and i changed that stuff and it shift like brand new now. Now we just gotta do the same to that trooper haha!

Edit: if you change it yourself be sure to clean off the metal filings on the magnet on the pan.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 PM
The Bear

Originally Posted by greenheadkiller98
Haha we have a trooper with the same exact problem!!! If i were you id get the kit from autozone (yes i know, autozone) and change it yourself. Its real easy and can save you some cash. My truck wasnt shifting into overdrive and i changed that stuff and it shift like brand new now. Now we just gotta do the same to that trooper haha!

Edit: if you change it yourself be sure to clean off the metal filings on the magnet on the pan.
We can't wait to get rid of our Trooper. Talk about a money pit. It seems like one thing gets fixed and another tears up on it. I now have to change all of the vacuum lines on it. I can say though that when that little beast is running right you can't beat the 4 wheel drive capability on it. Our's goes pretty much where any Jeep will go, you just never know what's gonna tear up next on it.

I've been told its because it's one of the newer generation Troopers. I've heard that the older models are pretty much bulletproof. Our's is a 2001 model and a PIA POS.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM

I have a '90 2.8L GM v6. Love that thing. It was my first vehicle. Its completely stock with walmart all terrrains and its still a BEAST. Keeps up with those ghetto tires while in 2wd against mildy modified jeeps in 4x4. I guess bc it wieghs nothing for its size. At 198k it runs great but idles a little rough and shifts funky everynow and then, but were planning to work out those kinks soon. I love that thing man its an absolute tank!!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 PM
The Bear

Originally Posted by greenheadkiller98
I have a '90 2.8L GM v6. Love that thing. It was my first vehicle. Its completely stock with walmart all terrrains and its still a BEAST. Keeps up with those ghetto tires while in 2wd against mildy modified jeeps in 4x4. I guess bc it wieghs nothing for its size. At 198k it runs great but idles a little rough and shifts funky everynow and then, but were planning to work out those kinks soon. I love that thing man its an absolute tank!!
We love the 4 wheel drive on ours. The main thing I hate about ours is the stupid sealed transmission. I have to take it to get the fluid changed because it has to be pumped in. Found that Ku the hard way. After draining the stupid thing has to get it towed to get it filled back up because I couldn't get the fluid to go back in. Found out about the sealed transmission and how they have to pump fluid in. I can't even check the level on it.

Ours has the 3.5 GM, decent motor power wise, just waaayyyyy too many issues with it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:59 PM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Dude do not waste your money going to the dealership it's so simple to flush and fill the tranny...

Step 1: loosen all bolts to the pan and slowly take a corner or side out all the way if you drop the whole thing... Your taking a transmission fluid bath...

Step 2: take off the pan and clean the magnet there shouldn't be anything in the pan if there is a yellow/red plastic plug in there it's ok it just means its never been touched its from the factory but make sure you clean that magnet and inspect the valve bodies

Step 3: grab the filter it just pulls right off and clean that all up I use some brake cleaner on a rag I don't spray it directly on the valve bodies but you do your own thing And then pop the new filter on

Step 4: grab the pan and THROW AWAY the old rubber gasket DO NOT get an aftermarket gasket they never fit right. And make sure you clean the pan really well and put the new gasket on

Step 5: put the pan back on and start tightening all the bolts back in do a cross pattern method so you one don't strip any bolts and two don't pinch the gasket make sure all the bolts are snug and the gaskets not pinched anywhere I'd say approximately 18ft lbs will do the trick but if you just want to make them hand tight crank about a 1/8th of a turn more and that's it so you dont snap any bolts

Step 6: throw some MERCON V in that pig and fire it up let It get to optimum temp and check the level... Obviously while running and congrats you just did a transmission service

Fun fact: transmission services at the dealership rarely flush the torque converter so just keep on top of the fluids and eventually it will all be changed. Also with high mileage in my own experience with a problem or not NEVER flush out the entire system due to your problem if there is one will be worse or two of you don't have a problem you will then inherit one

Good luck
Nick

Quick Reply: Tranny drain plug?