Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Thinking about getting new headlight covers, which brand?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Thinking about getting new headlight covers, which brand?

I like the look of the lightning headlights. I currently have some stockers on with 5300k 35w HID's inside. They do a good job of diffusing the light and not blinding people.

Will these new lightning style headlights allow too much light to pass through? I'm worried i will blind people since the lenses are a different material and are much more clear.

Aside from that whats the best brand for the lightning / harley styled headlights? I was looking on LMR and they look pretty decent. If you have some pictures post em up. I need some help deciding here

Also where can i find a well constructed harley grille?

Thanks guys!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4dave
I like the look of the lightning headlights. I currently have some stockers on with 5300k 35w HID's inside. They do a good job of diffusing the light and not blinding people.

Will these new lightning style headlights allow too much light to pass through? I'm worried i will blind people since the lenses are a different material and are much more clear.

Aside from that whats the best brand for the lightning / harley styled headlights? I was looking on LMR and they look pretty decent. If you have some pictures post em up. I need some help deciding here

Also where can i find a well constructed harley grille?

Thanks guys!
Alright, lets start off with the lenses. I have the chrome lightning housings with 5000k 55w HIDs. Mine are real bright, and I have to aim them down so I dont get flashed. I'll include a pic of mine with the lenses and how bright they are at night. I went with ones I found on ebay, and they do me just fine. Paid $53 for the set of lenses. The Harley grill? I can direct you to a brand new factory grill, fresh in the box. Let me know if you want it if you are willing to pay $512... No kidding. Its the reason i still have the stock grill. I can direct you to a good looking grill replacement for about $100, but it has the black surround you can pop off. I need a new chrome one, but 4x4 dustin swiped the last one that was left.

At night with LED corners:

During day with 8000k 55w HIDs:

I will say one more thing though. Technically, if you put HIDs in non HID housings, it is illegal. Unless the cop is feeling like an ******* though, you really should have to worry about it. I doubt most of them know about it, let alone care about it.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about getting new headlight covers, which brand?-2013-03-04_19-41-45_173.jpg  

Last edited by 03f15012; 03-27-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

I like your headlight housing. Is the housing stock with aftermarket lenses? I'm not so crazy over the corners.

I think the Harley housing / lenses will look the best. I just want to find a reputable brand that will fit, lineup, not dull, fade, crack, get moisture etc... I'm not familiar with the quality of lmc parts. They seem pretty pricy, but ill pay the extra if they fit well. OEM's are crazy expernsive

This is what im looking at:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fe/full.aspx?Page=64
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by 4x4dave
I like your headlight housing. Is the housing stock with aftermarket lenses? I'm not so crazy over the corners.

I think the Harley housing / lenses will look the best. I just want to find a reputable brand that will fit, lineup, not dull, fade, crack, get moisture etc... I'm not familiar with the quality of lmc parts. They seem pretty pricy, but ill pay the extra if they fit well. OEM's are crazy expernsive

This is what im looking at:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fe/full.aspx?Page=64
Yeah... I think you should give those a pass. Most people around here buy them from ebay and they are just fine. Iv'e had mine for at least a year, and they still look brand new. If thats the combo you're looking for, then this is what you should need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F150-EXPEDITION-LIGHTNING-STYLE-HEADLIGHTS-HEADLAMPS-4P-SET-97-98-99-00-01-02-03-/360606103861?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CModel%3AF-150%7CSubmodel%3ALightning&hash=item53f5cc7935&vxp=mtr
And yeah, the corners arent for everyone. I just really like them and thought they fit the truck real nice. Ebay does have its reputation, but when it comes to the HLs, you'll be fine.
The following users liked this post:
JimTX (03-27-2013)

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting new headlight covers, which brand?