Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Theft Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:15 AM
99fordman

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Theft Light

Hey guys a have a new problem. Lately ill go to start the truck in the morning and sometimes when i turn the key forward to start it nothing happenes. I have to take the key out and try it like two or three times before it actually starts, and when it finally does my theft light rapidly blinks and eventuallly slows down and turns off. I also just recently saw my Service engine soon light come on and in doing the diagnosis it came up with the EGR valve that im replacing this weekened. I dont know what the problem is and can they be possible be realated.
Any thing helps Thanks Guys
Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could the chip in the key be going bad? I know it cost me $90 for a second key to be made and programmed for my 04 crown vic. Had to have the dealer do it because you have to have 2 programmed keys to do it yourself, imagine that.

I was thinking that if that chip was acting up, and not sending the signal (or whatever it does) when you put the key in the ignition then it wouldnt let you start it up. Then by luck (for you) it started working the second or third time.

just a thought
Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but if it was the key or PATS system it would still crank right? But just not fire. I know that on my 03 if I use a non chipped key (hidden on the truck if I get Locked out lol) in the ignition it will just spin over. I think your problem would be in the ignition cylinder itself.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never had this happen to me or someone I know so I was just brainstorming. I know the spare key to my vic doesnt have the chip in it, it will slide in and turn but it wont crank. The difference there is it has the engine immoblizer on it. Thats where I was coming from.

damn electronics

Quick Reply: Theft Light