Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Supercrew Flareside Tonneau Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 01:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Supercrew Flareside Tonneau Covers

Hey guys I've been looking to get a tonneau cover for my F150 and really haven't come up with any options that seem to work with the Supercrew short bed flareside. I figured I'd see what you guys on here are using and how you like what you have? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Well what are you looking for? Soft covers, hard covers, tri fold covers (soft and hard), motorized roll up covers?
There are pretty much the same options out there as for any other truck.

I just went cheap with a soft cover from e-bay (~ $120) for mine since I only need it occasionally when traveling to keep our stuff dry if it rains.

I have painted the bedrails black since these pics.
Works perfectly for what I use it for, and is easy to take off and put on. I usually have it off on my truck.
The following users liked this post:
cwoody08 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 01:13 PM

I like the looks of the hard covers but I don't think I can use them because I need access to the very front of my bed because I regularly have atvs/motorcycles in the bed. Yours honestly sounds just like I would need, cheap and easy. I guess my only questions are how long have you had it and does it seem like it will last a while, and does it keep all water out of the bed?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You are correct about one thing. A hard shell will make adding ATV's etc impossible. You would need the type shown in the second post to have that kind of ability. I have a Flareside I just bought and I added the hard shell and I like it. I also have a tonneau (HS) on my 90 F150 SB and also for my 98 SCab. I like keeping the snow out in the winter, this is why I have them.
cwoody08 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
You are correct about one thing. A hard shell will make adding ATV's etc impossible. You would need the type shown in the second post to have that kind of ability. I have a Flareside I just bought and I added the hard shell and I like it. I also have a tonneau (HS) on my 90 F150 SB and also for my 98 SCab. I like keeping the snow out in the winter, this is why I have them.
So having a soft shell won't allow me to keep the snow out? I'm assuming the main issue is snow piling up and breaking the soft cover if I think about it. We've got plenty of snow in Iowa, not as much as you guys though. I'm not sure if this would be an issue or not as my truck is mainly garage or shed kept. Hey quick off topic question, I don't remember if it was you or not, but I'm pretty sure I read on here that Alaska is going to liquid ice melt or whatever and you don't have to worry about rust anymore?
Old 08-20-2016, 01:44 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by cwoody08
So having a soft shell won't allow me to keep the snow out? I'm assuming the main issue is snow piling up and breaking the soft cover if I think about it. We've got plenty of snow in Iowa, not as much as you guys though. I'm not sure if this would be an issue or not as my truck is mainly garage or shed kept. Hey quick off topic question, I don't remember if it was you or not, but I'm pretty sure I read on here that Alaska is going to liquid ice melt or whatever and you don't have to worry about rust anymore?
No, you took me wrong. I said, I have hard shells, because of where I am and what is available to use. I've found hard shells, so I use them. The soft one will work great keeping the snow and stuff out, but if they puddle up with water, they will stretch. I'd use a soft type, if I had them, but since I don't, I use the hard. I'm in a remote state, so we use what is here, more often. lol
cwoody08 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 08:53 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by cwoody08
I like the looks of the hard covers but I don't think I can use them because I need access to the very front of my bed because I regularly have atvs/motorcycles in the bed. Yours honestly sounds just like I would need, cheap and easy. I guess my only questions are how long have you had it and does it seem like it will last a while, and does it keep all water out of the bed?
I have had it for a year or so, but I don't leave it on all the time. Keeps the rain out, but it is not 100% watertight. If you spray a hose from the side some water can get in, but again, regular driving around, even in heavy downpours, no water gets in.
No idea how much snow it could hold, but mine has 3 metal cross bars to hold the fabric up, so I would say quite a bit.
cwoody08 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 AM

Received 5,562 Likes on 4,638 Posts

Originally Posted by akdoggie
No, you took me wrong. I said, I have hard shells, because of where I am and what is available to use. I've found hard shells, so I use them. The soft one will work great keeping the snow and stuff out, but if they puddle up with water, they will stretch. I'd use a soft type, if I had them, but since I don't, I use the hard. I'm in a remote state, so we use what is here, more often. lol
No stretching here, just shrinking. Shortened and tightened the frame as much as possible, but it caught up to it. It might fit a Ranger by now.
cwoody08 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 AM

Alright guys after reading your posts I went ahead and ordered myself a soft roll up cover.. I'm not sure what the deal was last time I tried looking but every one I looked at wouldn't fit my truck. Thanks a lot for all the help and replies, much appreciated!

Quick Reply: Supercrew Flareside Tonneau Covers