Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sunroof

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question, but I will try here.
Have a 2002 F-150. Metal bar that may limit the interior sun shade sliding backwards has come undone. Not sure where this bar actually re-attaches so it will not be freely moving. Could not find a picture of the sunroof / parts diagram on-line to look at how the bar or where the bar is supposed to be located.

Anyone have a parts diagram of this area, a picture of the bar placement or had a similar problem and fixed it? Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:55 AM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Go here and watch episode 16 - Webasto Moon Roof -Scroll down to bottom of page

[http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4
Old 12-19-2008, 08:13 AM

Default Moonroof....

Thanks for the link. Gives me an idea of what everything looks like with regards to the moonroof.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM
08 February TOTM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you normally keep the sun shade open? This bar came loose in my 02 too. I always kept the shade open... well at least 99% of the time. Apparently my rear window seal was leaking and for a long time the water would collect on top of the shade and it caused this bar to come loose. I never new it because neither the headliner or the shade had wet spots or stains... until one day when I went through a touchless car wash. I had the shade closed and the water dripped down through the headliner on the driver's side rear. Luckily my daughter was sitting back there when it happened because I may not have noticed it. It only dipped a little on her and even after it dried it didn't stain anything.

After you fix it be careful how hard you open/close it. There is a good chance you'll have to fix it again since there really isn't a great way to refasten that thing. You may want to try to add some large finder type washers to help give the fastener/rivets more surface area. I paid a shop to fix mine, and that is how they explained it to me after it came loose on month later... and I was trying to be extremely careful opening and closing mine. I never had a problem with it again after they did the second repair.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Diagram

Maybe it's too late to help the original poster, but for anyone else with sunroof issues here is a diagram I got from the Ford parts counter. I asked for the 2002 F150 SuperCrew, but he mentioned it was very similar on many other models.
My problem was the previous owners had broken the parts (500A64 & 500A65) that are supposed to slide the drip tray (54022) back when the glass moves back. So instead of following the proper path and going down the drain hoses (502C52) which I verified were clear, the water collected on top of the headliner than ran out the back when I started moving.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof-sunroof.jpg  
Old 01-31-2010, 09:45 PM
OVERTHINKER

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I ended up having to change the motor in SCrew last year.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Default 2002 F150 Sunroof

Not sure if you ever got your sunroof fixed but that bar is held in place by plastic tabs that stick up from the brackets on both sides of the sunroof.You need to replace the parts #500a64 and 500a65.The bar is a drip tray for water.Going through the same problem now.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 AM

Do you have instructions on our to replace the plastic tabs, do you have to take our the headliner? Any info would be very helpful. Also where did you purchase the plastic tabs?

Thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have any instructions per se, but I can mention a few pointers...
- I found the video posted earlier in this thread very useful
- yes, we took the headliner and entire sunroof assembly out (it's really not bad with a helper)
- I wish I had taken pictures, but with the glass off the sliders we moved the sliders by hand cranking the motor with an allen wrench to position the plastic tabs near the 'closed' end of the track where we could pretty much pop the old ones out and the new ones in
- before putting the entire assembly back together we cleaned and lubed the tracks and now everything slides smoothly
- I purchased my replacement parts from the Ford dealer, I think one was like $26 and the other $28
Old 01-09-2016, 01:42 AM

Default F150 assembly PDF

Attached is what you are looking for as I got it from the ford dealer myself for the sliders as mine broke and it is leaking water everywhere LOL
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F150 Sunroof assembly.pdf (246.5 KB, 852 views)

Quick Reply: Sunroof