Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Sticky driver door lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sticky driver door lock

Occasionally, my driver side door lock doesn't like to work. Whether it be using the key from the outside, or trying to open the locked door from the inside by pulling the handle, it seems that something is locked up. If I hit the unlock button, it opens up fine. If I am unlocking from the outside and the key isn't turning, using the touchpad on the door works just fine. Has anybody else encountered this? If so, what was your fix? It only happens occasionally, more of an annoyance than a pertinent issue.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like a touch of lubricant might be in order.
Using the touch pad or remote activates a switch that "forces" the connecting rods to move and unlocks the door.
You can remove the door panel to access the lock rods and spray them with the lube of your choice. There are several YouTube videos online that will show you where the 2-3 screws are locatee and how to remove it. Look for door glass replacement or door lock repair videos.

Personally I would use something with lithium grease at the connections. Check the clips for wear or breakage/misalignments.

The key slot I recommend powdered graphite in the lock. It's messy but lasts longer and penetrates the pins better. Lithium grease works but won't last as long in the key slot. Graphite is available just about anyplace and comes in a small tube about the size of lip balm.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 5,589 Likes on 4,662 Posts

Agreed,-graphite grease for the tumbler, - give a squirt, coat the key once as well and work it in. The stuff lasts and it won't freeze. Made specifically for key lock mechanisms. I wouldn't put it on your lips though.

Last edited by Jbrew; 02-26-2017 at 08:57 PM.