Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Starting to look, transmission question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to look, transmission question.

Okay, I'm new to this forum.

A little about me. I'm well versed working on cars. I've restored my 65 mustang to safe drivable condition. Rebuilt and modified the engine, transmission, rear end, brakes, etc. I do the majority of my own vehicle maintenance. Very few things I won't do.

But, the time has come for me to part with my 1991 Explorer that I've owned since 1995. 325k hard earned miles. Problem is that the truck is just rotting apart. Most of the gaskets are leaking (oil pan, tran valve body) and items like brake lines, fuel lines, cooling lines are rusting through on a weekly basis it seems.

So I'm actually looking for something a little more capable as a weekend warrior and winter back up vehicle. Guess I just trust Ford more which is why I'm looking at F150s. My dad's business has been using fords exclusively for 20 years with few problems other than old age because they didn't die.

My question really revolves around the transmission and transfer cases. I'm really interested in finding a V-8 with a 5 speed manual transmission and manual transfer case. But, if I can't find one in good condition, is the automatic transmission behind the 4.6Ls decent at least? I can't complain, my explorer got 160k on the original transmission and has 165k so far on the rebuild. Now, I don't plan to do a lot of towing with the F150. But dump runs, dirt and mulch, lumber, etc is all in the plans.

Thanks in advance.
Slade

Quick Reply: Starting to look, transmission question.