Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

starter trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default starter trouble

What would make my starter not kick out and turn the engine? I can hear/feel the solenoid on the firewall. If I cross the solenoid on the starter itself, it just spins but doesn't turn the engine.....Any ideas?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 AM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Bad ground on the starter
starter is not catching on the fly wheel

I'd start by just looking at the teeth in the starter they could be shattered causing it to not catch and therefore just spinning

If when you turn the key it just wants to click and not turn over then it's either a bad ground or the positive cable is rotted for the battery
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Starter drive. The over running clutch is worn or stuck. you can replace just the drive but its propably time for a starter rebuild or replace.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 AM

if its a manual, ring gear may be loose from the fly wheel? is unlikely but it happened to me...just something to consider. otherwise knock it with a hammer once er twice. not supper hard just a whack. probably not a permanent fix but it will hopefully get it starting so yer able to drive it.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:01 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

As stated previously, the bendix is shot. Also the overdrive unit. Its time for a rebuild/replace.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 PM

Aloha, Just went through this for two weeks. First purchased "Lifetime" remanufactured starter from O'Reilly, defective solinoid(not bench tested upon receipt). Second remanufactured "Lifetime" started initially, restarted, nothing.
New starter, so far working A-O.K. Battery rechecked by Interstate.

I don't know your current budget, but for me for $40 + $5 core plus the additional time it took to install/uninstall the "new" was a lot more economical plus, I am now
on the road.
Cleaned all ground/connections I could find. 1 year old Interstate tested and retested by Interstate. battery O.K. New Blue Streak relay mounted/tested. Had a good crash/redundant course in starter removal/install( about 4 times) checking volts at starter solinoid, alternator, starter. checked all fuses/relays I could think of(with help of threads/posts from Forum).

I would recommend taking out the starter and having it bench tested. If O.K., check
your wiring/grounds/fuses. By checking status at the starter(mounted) you can check your wiring/grounds/ connections on the truck itself. I did so may things that
I am not really positive that it was not a combination of various factors that got me running.
I do know one thing, Boy it is good/ GREAT to have my F150 back and running. So it
doesn't have the gas mileage/manuveability of my wranger but try to make 3-4+ trips to the dump with a wrangler-Not much fun. Not to mention carrying anything that is
outside tha capacily of my hardtop.
Use the search function then if you have any questions after there are so many GURUS on the forum, I am sure that one of them can point you in the right direction.
Good luck and keep the forum informed.

Quick Reply: starter trouble