Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Sometimes 4x4 works

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes 4x4 works

I have a 98 f150 with manual 4x4 shift some times it works sometimes it doesn't. The times it doesnt work I can pull the lever back no light no power to the front wheels the only thing it does is grind as I come to a stop then it makes a loud bang I can shift it in and out a bunch of times and it won't work but sometimes it will work eventually. The times it does work the 4x4 light comes on the front tires pull nicely and there is no grinding at all it also doesn't slip out of 4x4 either. Both have the same feel for distance as to how far the lever will pull back. I love the 4x4 in that truck when it works. I'm just a college student however I am studying to become a ford technician but this problem has me confused. Has anyone ever had trouble with this? Advice would be great thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 AM

Received 105 Likes on 93 Posts

remove the vacume pod and shift fork from the front diff and lube the fork with wd-40 moving it back and forth, reinstall and try it.and fyi.. when engaging 4x4- stop and put in neutral. pull it back to 4x4 then put in reverse and back up 10 feet then put it in drive and test if it works. if its going to engage thats the best way to engage it.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Ok I'll try the WD40. I usually do the neutral thing and all those steps for proper 4x4 shifting but I got fed up with it and wanted to see if moving would help.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rbarr
Ok I'll try the WD40. I usually do the neutral thing and all those steps for proper 4x4 shifting but I got fed up with it and wanted to see if moving would help.
ya i figured most guys know the proper way but ya never know!lol ya what happens is that shift fork gets a little stuck from not using it for awhile. i just engage my 4x4 once every couple weeks if i havent used it to keep it moving and now i never have a problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 PM

I'll try to keep that in mind. I wondered at first if there was a sensor in the transfer case that knows when you pull the lever back and when it senses that it's pulled into 4h or low it sends a signal to a vacuum regulator which then opens the vacuum to the front differential. But I had wondered if that sensor is going bad. About a week ago I tried it I pulled the lever back...nothing and I had my computer sitting next to me so i decided to look on this website to see if anyone has ever had the same problem anyways about 20 minutes went by I heard a click the 4x4 light came on and then the front locked in. I had the key turned to the on (engine off) position with the lever set to 4h. I didnt touch anything for those 20 minutes and all the sudden it decided to lock in. So I started it up and drove over to a gravel pit down the road stopped then I accelerated hard to see if the front was pulling sure enough the front and back tires spun. So I'm hoping there is nothing major wrong. I'm trying to get it ready for winter I live out in the country with good size drifts and lots of ice and that truck has always pulled through them real well. Every once in a while it would get hung up but it eventually it would pull off.however Still keeping my streak of never needing to be pulled out. Only tow on that truck was when i was driving home one night and the heater core hose blew.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Also I really appreciate you trying to help I'm somewhat new to this site.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 PM

Well I tried the wd40 thing today so far so good it acted like it didnt want to shift again after I test drove it but it was delayed a little took about 10 seconds after I shifted it to 4 for it to kick the light on. I can live with that but I'm gonna keep trying it this week. I think it helped so far.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM

you took the shift fork out of your front diff and lubed it? check all your vacume lines from the diff to the passenger side fire wall for leaks.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 PM

I just sprayed the rod coming out of the front diff and the actuator rod pulled the 2 hoses and just slid the actuator back and forth till it felt a little smoother. I couldn't get the whole actuator to come off. I followed the hose still to see where they went. So far they both had good vacuum when they were supposed to. The truck has 133,000 miles on it so it probably won't work perfectly.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:44 AM

you have to remove it to fix it right! and it doesnt matter the miles on it! with proper maintainence it should work like the day it was built!

Quick Reply: Sometimes 4x4 works