Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Select shift modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Select shift modification

Hey guys has anyone put a select shift column shifter, paddle shifters or even a b&m gated shifter on the dash to control your own shift points when needed on a 2002 f150 5.4 2v with the auto 4 speed? I imagine it can be done just wanted to know if the select shift like later model factory f150s had could be retrofitted to work on a truck this old. Without a tranny swap or computer swap anyways. Thanks for any info if anyone has tried this what were some of the challenges you had and the cost of this doing it yourself.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but what you're asking about AFAIK aren't optional "when needed" items.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by River1
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but what you're asking about AFAIK aren't optional "when needed" items.
​​​​​​Okay I was curious about it I know ppl use gated shifters like the b&m z gate shifter and have good results for performance and daily driver applications but I was wondering about the factory options with it cause I want my dash to show the right gear below my guages and I thought it would be cool to have that on a 2002. Oh well I'll figure out something to make it cooler if nobody else chimes in saying they've done it.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:19 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

OK, I'll bite.
Why?

This is a 25 + year old transmission design, made when the stuff you are talking about was just beginning in super cars.
There is no benefit of doing this other than saying it was done, and again, why?
This is not a fast truck regardless of what you do with it, unless you want to spend 3-4 times the trucks value to swap engines and transmissions.
This truck has no need to have anything like this. If you need to select gears, there is a gear shift lever that will do what you need, and it is already included.

So in other words, no, nobody has done this because there is no reason to.

Last edited by blupupher; 03-29-2020 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
River1 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by blupupher
OK, I'll bite.
Why?

This is a 25 + year old transmission design, made when the stuff you are talking about was just beginning in super cars.
There is no benefit of doing this other than saying it was done, and again, why?
This is not a fast truck regardless of what you do with it, unless you want to spend 3-4 times the trucks value to swap engines and transmissions.
This truck has no need to have anything like this. If you need to select gears, there is a gear shift lever that will do what you need, and it is already included.

So in other words, no, nobody has done this because there is no reason to.
I am planning a nice twin turbo build up on the truck when I get it along with a custom sheet metal intake and some other modifications (cams, etc.) I would rather have a manual shift tranny but my wife can't drive a manual and doesn't have much interest in learning. I know it doesn't make sense but I'm not planning on selling the truck any time soon and I want to do some really cool custom stuff to it I'm not a fan of select shifting the column shifter since a gated shifter stops at the next gear up instead of accidentally slapping it all the way to neutral. Also your stating that it's an old truck slow truck and it will exceed it's value but most build cars start out like that as well, a slow old car that isn't worth much and someone takes it and makes it their own regardless of the possibility of return. I just wanted to see if anyone was like minded to me and wanted to modify their stuff to suit their want for something like this. I was honestly leaning towards a z gate shifter since I knew it was more easily doable but I was curious about the more factory looking options such as the column with the +/- or the paddles since they honestly look better as a factor look than the z gate. I'm just asking because I couldn't find anything on it if I could've found a question about this or a write up on it I wouldn't have needed to ask.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:21 PM

You can get a Kilduff Lighting for your transmission. Why you would want it on the dash though is beyond me? You can get paddle shifters for automatics for about $1,500. What it would cost to get it to work with your transmission? For about 12k you can get a really nice Lenco automatic.

Twin turbo on your old motor? What's your budget?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:05 PM

You can get a Kilduff Lighting for your transmission. Why you would want it on the dash though is beyond me? You can get paddle shifters for automatics for about $1,500. What it would cost to get it to work with your transmission? For about 12k you can get a really nice Lenco automatic.

Twin turbo on your old motor? What's your budget?
Well I haven't been told much from the Mrs on an actual budget but I have about 4 years to complete the build so I think the budget is going to be relatively flexible. The reason for on the dash is it's a s-crew with the full bench seat I don't wanna lose seating if I need it so the dash is the next place I can think of. Most of this is going to be an over time modification not an all at once thing. I know it has to stay street legal and it's going to get fully forged internals before the turbo set up. I got called out by a buddy to build a daily driver that can compete in a quarter mile drag with an electric swapped BMW that he is building. I need a truck for a few things so truck it is and the price is right with 153k miles from my job so I think I can make it work. I'm not sure of turbo size yet but I know I'm going to use a electronic controlled waste gate so I can push hopefully 15-18 psi for the race. And drop it down to 6 or 7 psi for daily driving.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:54 PM

4 years? A SC? Bench seats? If I were you I'd start with a new truck and spend the next year tearing it down to the frame and fixing everything. From there build yourself a rolling chassis with a good suspension for the power you want. Look for a truck from the 50's or 60's. In the end IMO this would be a less expensive way to go and in the end be worth much more. With 4 years you'd even have the time to find and build a 427. A running 427 alone will be worth probably at least 5 to 10 times what your current truck will ever be worth.

Also, your engine had new a compression ratio of 8.5-9:1? It's an interesting question to know what it would cost to build a 5.4, SOHC engine for a reliable 18 lbs. of boost. I doubt the cam and heads would be worth a damn for it? Then there's everything else. A decent twin turbo kit will be at least 6k +. Probably half that again to do it right. Good bearings will be 1.5 to 2k alone.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:05 PM

4 years? A SC? Bench seats? If I were you I'd start with a new truck and spend the next year tearing it down to the frame and fixing everything. From there build yourself a rolling chassis with a good suspension for the power you want. Look for a truck from the 50's or 60's. In the end IMO this would be a less expensive way to go and in the end be worth much more. With 4 years you'd even have the time to find and build a 427. A running 427 alone will be worth probably at least 5 to 10 times what your current truck will ever be worth.

Also, your engine had new a compression ratio of 8.5-9:1? It's an interesting question to know what it would cost to build a 5.4, SOHC engine for a reliable 18 lbs. of boost. I doubt the cam and heads would be worth a damn for it? Then there's everything else. A decent twin turbo kit will be at least 6k +. Probably half that again to do it right. Good bearings will be 1.5 to 2k alone.
Yeah I've been looking at a lot of those problems trick flow makes heads for it that should work I'm going to put lunati cams in it. I was going to build a 351 Cleveland swapped ranger but the wife pulled the plug on that saying we needed something more family practical as a truck until we can get her the flex she wants
​​​​​

Quick Reply: Select shift modification