Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Running problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running problems

Ok I have an issue. Vehicle is an 2002 f150 5.4 V8. Just did a major tune up on it because it was running rough and having problems starting. Parts replaced are;
Fuel injectors
Coil packs
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
And all the other fluids and filters

Now after all this it dose run better. But there a few other problems. The exhaust manifold on the driver's side has a crack in it and leaks fuel from the crack along with unburnt fuel coming out the tail pipe. At idle it runs rough and through normal driving range it seems ok.
These are the things I have checked so far;
Fuel pressure (35+psi)
12 volts to all fuel injectors and coils
Fuses are good
Unplugged each injector and coil for Rpm change

After all that the #1 injector and coil are not working. Both the injector and coil have 12 volts. Along with that its leaking fuel(from crack in manifold) and a hard start.
My biggest worry is that there is a bent valve or spring or something. I'm hoping maybe it's something as simple as an o2 sensor
Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I would start with that exhaust manifold leak. The O2 sensors further down the pipe are not getting a true reading. That said, a bad O2 Sensor has never affected my performance other than gas mileage and a CEL. But it is my understanding it can.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does sound like one of your cylinders is not firing, or its arching out. Were your coil boots badly saturated with oil when you pulled them? That can cause a misfire and cause the cylinder to misfire/not fire and there by pushing unburnt fuel down the exhaust system.

I ask about the oil as It is a common problem, that being worn out valve cover gaskets, that decintigrate and leak oil into the sparkplug wells, and THAT can create a misfire.

Other causes of misfires would be bad plugs or coils, (which you seemed to have covered) or not enough power to the coils via the connecting wiring.

Did you use motorcraft plugs? Did you verify plug gap?
Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 AM

Default Michacle_in_DE

Plugs were gaped correctly and used motorcraft plugs. And the #1 injector and coil both have 12 volts go to them. I'm trying to figure all this out without a computer as well. I have one at the shop I work at but it's always being used. Any help is appreciated. I'm just a little confused as to why #1 is not working with no signs of oil leak all gaps are set and new parts. And I do know that new parts can fail but seeing how only one cylinder with 3 new parts is not working, I doubt it.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:48 AM

I see what you are saying. So you know the injector and coils are good, and they are getting voltage, I assume you have switched them out with other known good coils and injectors?

Even if you haven't, the chances of both items going out on the same cylinder is highly unlikely.

Have you tried a compression test on the cylinder yet?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 PM

Have not done a compression test yet. I will give that a try when I get off work. If the compression checks out ok, what would be the next step? Checking valves for any damage?
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 PM

I don't know about that. If you had valve issues, I would think you would hear more high-pitched clicking.

Before we go further, I should tell you, I am not a mechanic, I only play one on the weekends on my own vehicles.

Something is not right in your current list of facts or you have more going on than you think.

If you're getting fuel in the exhaust, its gotta be coming from one of the injectors. And you think your trouble is cylinder one, but you say the injector is not shooting fuel right?

So either #1 injector IS working and shooting fuel, (ergo, there is a problem with the coil and or plug) OR a different cylinder is shooting excess fuel.

Personally I think this is happening:

The injector is working as it should. Its shooting fuel into the cylinder. However, for some reason there is no spark, so you're getting rough running, and fuel down your exhaust.

Now, WHY your're not getting spark is the question in my scenario.

Easy Possibilities:
Bad coil
bad plug
Unplugged coil

Horrible, however unlikely Possibilities:
Cut wire to coil connection plug
Ignition control module/Computer issue (I don't know if the fords have ICMs)

What I suggest, and in this order:
Ensure ALL coils are down snug, and connected.
Test
Check to make sure you have compression
Go to the store buy one spark plug and one inline sparkplug tester (verify that a IST will work off a coil)
Replace plug in cylinder 1 with the new one.
test
if you are still having issues, hook up the inline sparkplug tester, turn off the lights test If you get the fancy spark, if you do you know your coil is ok.
BTW, if the above doesn't work..... you'll have to do all that all over again....on each cylinder. THAT would suck. Before I did that, I'd be looking real hard at getting my hands on a computer that will give more info.

Keep in mind, sparkplugs are notorious for popping out on the 5.4 2V. One of yours may have come loose. Did you go to 28ft Lbs? A blown out plug could also produce the same symptoms you’re getting.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:13 PM
Yeah I'm THAT guy

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Try testing the fpr, it's probably overloading the rail
Old 05-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Everything has tested out fine. Spark plugs are tight coils are all the way down fuel pressure is 35+, the FPR tested good. I took a day off and dug into it. With KOER I can unplug an injector or coil on the passenger side and it runs worse. Now on the driver's side it dosnt matter witch one I unplug it runs the same. Friday I will be taking my dad's truck to the shop I work at and running the computer on it. I'm leaning towards a faulty o2 sensor or two.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 PM

Default Issue solved

Problem solved!
So was able to get A hold of a computer, long story short, #5 injector was bad stuck open and dumping fuel. And #5 spark plug was bad due to the open injetor, it had almost hydrolocked the motor, actually surprised it didn't bend a rod or blow up. Had to re sync all the coil packs, and now the truck runs great!