Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rolled off the corners of a spark plug. Now what.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rolled off the corners of a spark plug. Now what.

Hi from the frozen tundra of New England

Trying like heck to get the #7 plug out. Used a 5/8" plug socket. Only torques for maybe 1/8 of a turn, then slips off.

I removed the EGR tube to have more room and get at it squarely.

This is the 2v, non-breaking plugs.

I soaked it in wd-40 overnight, still nothing. I don't understand how a 5/8", 6-point socket is slipping off this plug - I have never had issues with removing plugs on other vehicles, ever.

I don't have a deep 15mm, nor a 9/16 (could PO have put in a 9/16ths plug??)

I am going to buy one of each....anyone have this problem, and if so how did you resolve it?
Old 03-15-2017, 10:24 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by steve cordeiro
Hi from the frozen tundra of New England

Trying like heck to get the #7 plug out. Used a 5/8" plug socket. Only torques for maybe 1/8 of a turn, then slips off.

I removed the EGR tube to have more room and get at it squarely.

This is the 2v, non-breaking plugs.

I soaked it in wd-40 overnight, still nothing. I don't understand how a 5/8", 6-point socket is slipping off this plug - I have never had issues with removing plugs on other vehicles, ever.

I don't have a deep 15mm, nor a 9/16 (could PO have put in a 9/16ths plug??)

I am going to buy one of each....anyone have this problem, and if so how did you resolve it?
Are you sure it's rounded off and it's not caught in the threads?
The following users liked this post:
escodsm (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
Are you sure it's rounded off and it's not caught in the threads?

No. I am not absolutely sure. I used compressed air to blow everything out of there - and looked in. These plugs look original and would explain all of my issues with the truck.

If the plug is 5/8 and there's a 6-pt 5/8 socket on it - there should be no play and threads binded or not, it will come out. However there is some play on the socket now. Almost as though the plug is actually 9/16" which I know is for the '04-'07's but it behaves like the socket is a little too big.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM
BoostKing Tuning

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

On my spark plug socket, I had the little rubber thing at the bottom fall out and wedge itself down in the spark plug tube next to the plug. I had to use a coat hanger to make a hook and my phone camera to see down where it was.

I was fighting with the plug thinking it was rounded, realizing only after 30 minutes of frustration, that I was not getting the socket all the way due to the rubber oring stopping me. Maybe thats it?

Use your camera phone to snap a pic down the hole and check it out.

If you have all the other plugs out already, then you already know the size socket. Very slim chance only one plug had a larger socket size.
escodsm (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostking
On my spark plug socket, I had the little rubber thing at the bottom fall out and wedge itself down in the spark plug tube next to the plug. I had to use a coat hanger to make a hook and my phone camera to see down where it was.

I was fighting with the plug thinking it was rounded, realizing only after 30 minutes of frustration, that I was not getting the socket all the way due to the rubber oring stopping me. Maybe thats it?

Use your camera phone to snap a pic down the hole and check it out.

If you have all the other plugs out already, then you already know the size socket. Very slim chance only one plug had a larger socket size.
Yes I had a similar issue with a truck I bought, there was a piece of metal jammed between the cylinder wall and the spark plug which didn't allow me to get the socket around the head. Luckily I had my intake manifold off the truck so I had easier access to see in the hole.
escodsm (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM

I haven't gotten any other plugs out. I was having a misfire on #7 so I replaced the coil and it worked for a couple weeks - but now - while I am not getting a misfire code....the truck is running like sh*t when it's cold out. I believe the plug on #7 is original like the rest of them, so I wanted to pull it just to look at the tip, but I can't budge the f*ker.

I have breaker bars and all that - but afraid. It grabs, then slides off and in an upward motion. There is nothing down in the hole preventing the socket from grabbing. But there is play on it now which makes me nervous that the nut is rounded off.

My only saving grace, is that this POS Sears 5/8" spark plug socket is not deep enough - and the tip of the plug is preventing the connection. This is the old school 5/8" socket that came with the "Fisher-Price My First Tool Set" deal you get when you turn 16:

I think I answered my own thread. Sorry guys - this is why I hate making threads needlessly, now I look like an idiot.
I need a deeper, modern socket for this job.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:20 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

I got one of these GearWrench sockets and really like it. Haven't had any problems with it at all.
escodsm (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM
BoostKing Tuning

Been there too. Your thread is not in vain. Hopefully someone in the future will use the search button, read this and realize their shorty spark plug socket is not going to work.

I have a set of longer spark sockets now too.
escodsm (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM

UPDATE

Went to Advance Auto. Bought the extended, magnetic 5/8" GearWrench socket.

I had hoped to update this with good results and wrap up the thread nicely, however, the socket didn't work. The same thing is happening, it torques for a 1/4 turn then pops off.

It's been soaking in WD40 for 48 hours. I am at my wits end. Options?

1 - Hammer a 15mm deep skt on there? possibly damaging or breaking it and hoping it will grip enough to remove?

2 - Take it to a friendly, Ford-loving shop and have them extract it for me with air tools?

In the meantime I am going to put everything back together and see if it even runs anymore. I must have done 1000 plug changes in my life and never have seen this issue.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 PM
BoostKing Tuning

Any way you can take a picture down the tube and see if there is any damage to the head?