Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rhino lined Lariat paint scheme

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:41 AM
Detroit Hustles Harder

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Rhino lined Lariat paint scheme

Has anyone here rhino lined the areas on the bottom of the doors, rockers, fender flares, bed, etc. where the Lariat paint is?

Here is my situation. The rockers are going on my Lariat screw and I plan on wire wheeling them and rhino lining. Like other trucks in my area, the bottoms of the doors are starting to get some surface rust also. My idea is to sand down all of the areas that have the Lariat paint and replace with rhino liner.

I am specifically talking about the tan areas on my particular paint scheme.

I was hoping others have done something similar in the past and they could post up some pictures.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested in any answers. Looking to possibly do this as well!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Received 182 Likes on 168 Posts

You should get it painted with line x then you can keep the tan!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

You've got a nice truck, don't **** it up by putting that crap on it as paint. Take care of your rust properly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good product but leave the cheap fixes to the trailer park crowd.

While there are some pretty nice trucks out there that use Rhino liner as paint, those are specifically built for their needs. Not usually for covering up flaws.
The following users liked this post:
Chris (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Detroit Hustles Harder

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
You've got a nice truck, don't **** it up by putting that crap on it as paint. Take care of your rust properly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good product but leave the cheap fixes to the trailer park crowd.

While there are some pretty nice trucks out there that use Rhino liner as paint, those are specifically built for their needs. Not usually for covering up flaws.
I hear you loud and clear. That's why I wanted to see other's results before moving forward. At the very least, I may sand and line the rockers, which aren't seen aside from opening the doors.

I have seen other people who have done this and I don't think it turned out well, like you described. Just wanted to get some input. I'm often complimented on how good the truck looks, especially on the inside, and I don't want to screw it up with a junk paint/liner job. Friends who don't know much about trucks often think it is only a few years old...not 12. lol
The following users liked this post:
sgriffin (04-06-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM

Metal rusts from all sides, not just the side you see. (Obviously, lol) If you have have rust you can see, chances are it's already rusting from the inside as well. If that's even remotely the case, painting all that you can see will have little effect. It will just continue to rust out.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Detroit Hustles Harder

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
Metal rusts from all sides, not just the side you see. (Obviously, lol) If you have have rust you can see, chances are it's already rusting from the inside as well. If that's even remotely the case, painting all that you can see will have little effect. It will just continue to rust out.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm well aware of rust's destructive force living in Michigan. I was hoping to be able to slow it down for a couple of years until I feel like replacing the rockers entirely.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 AM

I'm from there too. It felt like I was washing my cars every other day. I probably did more damage to the paint from carwashes then what the salt would have done, lol.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 521 Likes on 293 Posts

I didn't go up as high as you propose. I went all the way under and inside the door jambs as well.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Can't avoid the rust that's for sure, coming from Indiana I hear ya! I did the body line on my last truck to cover the rust that was already there. It worked for about a year and the salt tore it up this winter. (I sold it recently so it's no longer my problem!!!) The only suggestion I would make is that if you decide to go with the bed liner look, make sure you really want to. It's gonna be a ton of work take the bed liner off if you decide you want paint again when you fix the rockers and what not.

Quick Reply: Rhino lined Lariat paint scheme