Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Repair or go Remanned? '01 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair or go Remanned? '01 4.6L

First, I'd like to say thanks for the forum - I have used this as a resource for a few years. However now I am at a point where I could use some input from others. I will try to keep this as clean as possible.
My experience with auto repairs is light, alternator replacements, starters, ect...
I have replaced the fuel tank / pump and I have replaced the heater core on my truck, and I am not afraid to pull things apart with many parts...

Thinking I have blown head gasket - current symptoms:
oil on passenger side
rough running under load

Prior:
Had check engine light, running lean - I admit I let it go because it was cold and no garage. Ran fine, lower fuel economy. Drove just to work and home - ~12 miles one way, with elevation changes (WV)
Sucking sound under hood, passenger side, hard to pin down location / Exhaust leak sound*
Started running rough, replaced plugs and a few coil packs, blew out fuel lines - ran fine for a couple of days <<< local garage did this work
Started running rough, getting #5 misfire, engine shutdown
Found PCV hose - appeared heat damaged coming right off of PCV valve - replaced hose
Found #5 coil pack screw to be 'boogered up' - coil pack not seating properly - ran screw through die - this time it was tight when it felt like it
Found small pinhole at exhaust junction - wrapped it up - noticed oil on motor below starter at this point
Started up and still an exhaust sound, very clear now and coming from passenger side...

The truck has 180k+ on it, when I get home this morning I am going to wipe the oil and start it up and see if I can feel where the leak is, I am on nightshift right now.
I have not noticed milky oil or oil in the coolant container, though that looks pretty rough - so it's hard to tell there. I will look for bubbles in it this morning also.

My bigger concern here is if this is the case, should I do the repair, I will be on days soon and have another vehicle to drive. If so, what else should I be aware of or do while it is ripped open?
OR do I go remanufactured and has anyone here have any experiences to share on that route??

I know I should wait to post until I know where the leak is coming from, it's just on my mind all night though. I will try to get some pics up.

* I should add that while I heard the exhaust leak, I was not concerned because every spring the past three years I have to band aid up my egr line on the driver side exhaust manifold - right where the nut is connecting the line to the manifold. Looking at the manifold - it isn't coming off. So I would hear the leak and make a repair. This year though - that leak sound isn't my repair on the egr line.

I did pick up an OBD2 diagnostic tool and am using the Torque app for android, in the event any of that info would be useful.

Thanks and I will report back.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM

Received 772 Likes on 609 Posts

If you can afford it a reman is probably the way to go. Ford remans have an excellent warranty. I couldn't afford a reman so I replaced my head gaskets about 40,000 miles ago and so far so good. Truck had 210,000 on it when I changed them, it's at almost 250,000 now.

Quick Reply: Repair or go Remanned? '01 4.6L