Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Reconditioning Blk Plastic Trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Question Reconditioning Blk Plastic Trim

What do you guys use to recondition the black plastic moulding around all the windows and top of the bed liner?

All of my moulding had really lighten and dried out form the UV's.

I've only used a couple products before but instead of deepening the color it just them shiny and left streaks on the plastics.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Batmobile

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Spray paint
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

? It's ABS, that's never been painted. I don't think that'll work out the way I'd like it to. There are no plastic conditioners or waxes that will work?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:01 PM
The Bear

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

For the Tim around the rear window use a satin black spray paint made for plastic. For the bed rails just use some spray on bedliner, Duplicolor is the best. If you get a linex liner done they'll spray the rails and tailgate cap for you for a little extra.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Romp It!

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sxynerd
? It's ABS, that's never been painted. I don't think that'll work out the way I'd like it to. There are no plastic conditioners or waxes that will work?
No once the colors gone, its gone. There are some of those crappy quick fixes that make it look nice for about a week but there all a waste of money. The best option is to paint them if you want a nice looking long lasting color
Old 02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by FordmanDFD217
For the Tim around the rear window use a satin black spray paint made for plastic. For the bed rails just use some spray on bedliner, Duplicolor is the best. If you get a linex liner done they'll spray the rails and tailgate cap for you for a little extra.
I'd avoid the Duplicolor bed liner, the one thing they make I'm not impressed with. It's all chunky and too rubbery, or at least all the jobs I've seen with it were. Try Rustoleum's bed liner, it's always worked great for me, it lays on super even and the coat is consistent, it feels like a medium grit sandpaper.

To make sure the bedliner sticks to the plastic, clean it very well and use 3-4 light coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter, it lets the top coat bite in better

For the window trim I'd use krylon fusion black, it's a paint specific for plastics, all it requires is a super good cleaning.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

I've personally never tried Wipe New, but i've heard great things from people on this forum. They say it's a little pricey, but it lasts an extremely long time and returns trim to like-new color.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 AM
The Bear

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowningSCrew

I'd avoid the Duplicolor bed liner, the one thing they make I'm not impressed with. It's all chunky and too rubbery, or at least all the jobs I've seen with it were. Try Rustoleum's bed liner, it's always worked great for me, it lays on super even and the coat is consistent, it feels like a medium grit sandpaper.

To make sure the bedliner sticks to the plastic, clean it very well and use 3-4 light coats of duplicolor adhesion promoter, it lets the top coat bite in better

For the window trim I'd use krylon fusion black, it's a paint specific for plastics, all it requires is a super good cleaning.
IDK man, I'm right the opposite. The Rustoleum bedliner I used sucks. Scratches off to easily and is too faded looking where as the Duplicolor has a bit of a texture, which I like and is consistent if you apply it evenly, and has maintained its satin black like finish.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 AM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by FordmanDFD217

IDK man, I'm right the opposite. The Rustoleum bedliner I used sucks. Scratches off to easily and is too faded looking where as the Duplicolor has a bit of a texture, which I like and is consistent if you apply it evenly, and has maintained its satin black like finish.
Was it the bed armor or the truck bed coating stuff?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My buddy used plastidip and it worked really well looks new again

Quick Reply: Reconditioning Blk Plastic Trim