Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rear Window Leak....Again. Let's Refresh.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Window Leak....Again. Let's Refresh.

We all know this has been a popular topic. After spending a nice Sunday afternoon replacing the rear window seal, I noticed yesterday, it's still leaking in the exact same spot.

Let's refresh this topic. For those of you that have successfully fixed the leak, what did you do exactly, what did you use, and what kind of window do you have? One piece? or Sliding?

Let's write it out like this,

1. Rear window type
2. Product(s) Used
3. Process
4. Success?
5. Afterthoughts

For me:

1. Sliding

2. 3M Window Weld Fast Urethane Black Glass Sealer

3. Pulled interior, window bolts, black trim bolts, pulled window, pulled trim, cleaned trim, cleaned window frame, cleaned window, put a heavy dose of seal on, put up trim, put in window, tightened window bolts, interior back on.

4. No success

5. If it's still leaking in the same spot, part of me thinks it's the window itself, and not the seal. The black plastic frame has to be failing somewhere. I was worried I over torqued the window bolts or put too much seal on, but like I said, it's still the exact same spot it leaked before. So I doubt it's the seal.

The leaky area:

Where I'm thinking I might try to "caulk" or something next, I think it's where the plastic meets the glass (red arrow), not where the plastic meets the cab (yellow arrow).

Thoughts?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Before getting at it again, maybe verify that cargo light is not leaking. It could be pooling water to that area. I often use baby powder to locate water leaks. It'll show exactly where water's been leaking (and makes a nice air freshener,LOL). If it turns out to be the window gasket, sometimes a spray silicone lubrican will help it seal better.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Duck Huntin NC Redneck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My slider leaks in the same spot, I noticed it the other day
Old 08-29-2012, 12:56 PM

before I replaced it, I was working on my roof, sanded it down, and the bright green residue seemed to settle right where the leak is. I could see it when I took off the window. But that was the seal that seemed be leaking. Now after a new seal, it's still in the same spot. I'm thinking it has something to do with the sliding windows and the plastic frame. But you're right, I'm going to have to have someone with a hose go at it and see exactly where it's coming in with some sort of coloring or something.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

I have the same setup as the OP used the same product it took me two trys. First you don't have to remove the plastic surround it has nothing to do with the window seal, as for the sealant the first time I didn't put a tall enough bead on the window frame it says on the tube make the bead 1/2-9/16'' high so I did that on the second try then added a scim coat of sealant around the top and sides of the metal and put it in tightening the nuts down a little at a time working around the window, snugged up pretty tight. So far so good, lots of rain here lately and no leaks.
The following users liked this post:
ckgreenstep (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by jollyroger331
I have the same setup as the OP used the same product it took me two trys. First you don't have to remove the plastic surround it has nothing to do with the window seal, as for the sealant the first time I didn't put a tall enough bead on the window frame it says on the tube make the bead 1/2-9/16'' high so I did that on the second try then added a scim coat of sealant around the top and sides of the metal and put it in tightening the nuts down a little at a time working around the window, snugged up pretty tight. So far so good, lots of rain here lately and no leaks.
Other than the skim coat around the top and sides of the metal, that's exactly what I did. My bead was at least 1/2 inch. Did you window frame have any cracks in it? I noticed mine did, they were very thin, but it wasn't solid.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

I used a 3m urethane window seal that is typically used on front windows. I let it setup for 10 minutes then reinstalled the window. I had a 5/16" bead on the window and a 1/4" tall bead on the cab. The bead on the cab was still wet when I installed the window.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Rear window

Originally Posted by ckgreenstep
Other than the skim coat around the top and sides of the metal, that's exactly what I did. My bead was at least 1/2 inch. Did you window frame have any cracks in it? I noticed mine did, they were very thin, but it wasn't solid.
No cracks in mine.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your problem is the sealer that you used, what you are supposed to use is what ford uses, it's a product called butyl tape. You can buy it a NAPA and you have to request it, it's about 20 bucks. Redo it using that butyl tape and I guarantee there won't be a leak if done right.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:51 PM
NOM NOM NOM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpeF150
Your problem is the sealer that you used, what you are supposed to use is what ford uses, it's a product called butyl tape. You can buy it a NAPA and you have to request it, it's about 20 bucks. Redo it using that butyl tape and I guarantee there won't be a leak if done right.
I learned the hard way after using the Window Weld crap. Made a mess of everything, and still leaked.

Used Butyl tape the second time, and didn't so much as get my fingers dirty. Sure did cleaning all of the old Window Weld though.

No leaks, no mess, no fuss. Butyl tape is the shizznit.

Just tighten the nuts down slowly, working in a circle little by little, to give it time to compress. And the warmer the temperature when you do it, the better.

Quick Reply: Rear Window Leak....Again. Let's Refresh.