Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Rattle Noise At Temp

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle Noise At Temp

What's Up,
I have a 2003 5.4 Triton. Recently just noticed a rattle noise. Only seems to do it when truck is warm. Can't tell if its doing it when i accelerate as the exhaust leaks are pretty rough, So it drowns it out. LOL.
Everyone says Timing Chain, Which was my first thought as well.

Mostly want your guys opinions on what it is, as well as, Do i stop driving it or will it make it a couple of months of on and off driving. I don't daily it, Just when it snows, As it gets bad out here and is very hilly, and a lot of fields where snow will drift into the roads, Some days itll be more than a few feet so can't make it with a FWD. I don't have a garage and don't want to do the timing outside in the snow.

Here is the link to the video of the noise.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 PM
mbb

Received 900 Likes on 741 Posts

Nmsg

Last edited by mbb; 11-16-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by mbb
nmsg
nmsg?
Old 11-23-2018, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like timing chain rattle. Here is link to mine:
See if they sound similar. I am half way thru fixing mine.
I drove it home one night, ran fine. Started it the next day and it sounded like in the video.
Got it all stripped down and found the timing chain guide rails has broken.
Plastic shrapnel all over the place. Finished pulling the pan today.

My advice GunLake is to not drive it at all.
Fix the problem as soon as you can and hope no plastic has shattered all over the inside of your engine.
Best of luck!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 AM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

Take your belt off and rotate the accessories. Doesn't sound consistent enough to be a timing chain - to me, anyway.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I second white's comment. An auto stethoscope may also be your friend here, to determine from where the noise is emanating. It almost sounds like something being "bounced around" someplace, like under a cam cover or inside the timing cover. The "only..when...warm" comment is a little perplexing, though.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I second white's comment. An auto stethoscope may also be your friend here, to determine from where the noise is emanating. It almost sounds like something being "bounced around" someplace, like under a cam cover or inside the timing cover. The "only..when...warm" comment is a little perplexing, though.
Thanks For The Reply. I'll try to get one and do that this weekend. But yes, It sounds perfectly fine, Other than the exhaust leaks, When its cold. Once Up to temp it will start this noise. I've drove it probably 300 miles since the noise started, Hasn't changed much.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Take your belt off and rotate the accessories. Doesn't sound consistent enough to be a timing chain - to me, anyway.
You're talking just the serpentine belt correct? lol And I was thinking the same, Every video i've listened too the noise is very consistent but mine is not... Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by ssimports
Sure sounds like timing chain rattle. Here is link to mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRuQ5K9tT-w
See if they sound similar. I am half way thru fixing mine.
I drove it home one night, ran fine. Started it the next day and it sounded like in the video.
Got it all stripped down and found the timing chain guide rails has broken.
Plastic shrapnel all over the place. Finished pulling the pan today.

My advice GunLake is to not drive it at all.
Fix the problem as soon as you can and hope no plastic has shattered all over the inside of your engine.
Best of luck!
To me they sound completely different, Yours is very consistent and mine is just every couple seconds then sometimes itll stop for 10-20 seconds. Bit hard to hear over my exhaust leaks tho. lol

Also I've drove mine well over 300 miles or more since the noise started and hasn't changed at all.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 6,481 Likes on 4,617 Posts

Originally Posted by GunLake
You're talking just the serpentine belt correct? lol And I was thinking the same, Every video i've listened too the noise is very consistent but mine is not... Thanks for the reply.
Yes, serpentine belt.

Quick Reply: Rattle Noise At Temp