Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

radio issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radio issue

I have an 02 screw that i converted the stock radio to a double din head unit. i am on my third head unit that has lost its fm radio function. the first time it happened i had a cheap jensen unit and assumed it was because it was cheap. then the second one was a refurbished pioneer unit, i figured well its because its refurbished. the company I bought the pioneer from send me a new refurbished unit. everything has been fine until i turned the heat on in the truck for the season. when on FM the radio will will play for 30 seconds then cut out for 5 sec then play then cut out again. Now it will no longer play any fm stations. all other functions work, bluetooth, dvd and so on.
My question is has anyone else had issues with a double din conversion burning up their radio function or is it just bad luck for me?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:16 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It sounds like an antenna problem might be causing your symptoms. Check your antenna cable. Could be you have a bare spot in the casing, which might be shorting your signal. It's worth a check. It can't be the heads when it is the same problem with each one. Check your wiring also to make sure that all is correct. You might have a wiring situation that is shorting also. Otherwise, there isn't much more it could be.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:28 AM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

Low voltage might cause it to cut out at some point. Check power wire voltage. But that would cut out other modes too youd think. Or something could lose fm signal sounds like most probable.

Bad antenna wire or connection. You are pluging antenna in, right?

Last edited by mbb; 09-15-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I'm with AK and mbb. It definitely sounds like an antenna issue. I'd lean toward it not grounding properly (or having a broken center conductor) more than grounding inadvertently. You'd have to also wear all the way through to the center conductor to short that out (not that this is impossible). If you find it's the cable, let me know. I'll send you the one from my '99 for postage and a fiver.

As a test, I'd suggest stripping a piece of plain old hookup wire and sticking it in the center hole of the radio's antenna connector. Even just this should allow you to pull in a more powerful nearby station or two.