Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Question about wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

Default Question about wheel spacers

(I'm typing on my phone through garage talk, be kind.)

I mentioned it before but one of my tires is making contact with my front sway bar and rubbing the inside tread off. My wheels are 17x8" with 0 offset.

Not bringing the quality or if they are safe arguments for or against them would pushing out the wheel an 1" - 1.5" have any more negative effect on the hubs or ball joints than say, a set of larger wheels? ..e.g. 17x9.5" or 17x10".
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvee
(I'm typing on my phone through garage talk, be kind.)

I mentioned it before but one of my tires is making contact with my front sway bar and rubbing the inside tread off. My wheels are 17x8" with 0 offset.

Not bringing the quality or if they are safe arguments for or against them would pushing out the wheel an 1" - 1.5" have any more negative effect on the hubs or ball joints than say, a set of larger wheels? ..e.g. 17x9.5" or 17x10".

Nope, offset is offset no matter how you achieve it. You'll have no problem with that amount of
Spacers. Definitely nothing to worry about
Old 04-20-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I have experience with spacers myself on a car (for years with no issues) I wonder are they ok for towing? I mean like towing max capacity what your truck is rated for would spacers play a factor?
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MrXLT
While I have experience with spacers myself on a car (for years with no issues) I wonder are they ok for towing? I mean like towing max capacity what your truck is rated for would spacers play a factor?
Any offset will put extra stress on bearings and hubs. I've seen guys tow goosenecks on 3" spacers and 16 wide wheels before, the wider you go the less is recommend it. 1-1.5" is not that must at all especially with stock or not very offset wheels you'd be fine to tow like normal
The following users liked this post:
MrXLT (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
Any offset will put extra stress on bearings and hubs. I've seen guys tow goosenecks on 3" spacers and 16 wide wheels before, the wider you go the less is recommend it. 1-1.5" is not that must at all especially with stock or not very offset wheels you'd be fine to tow like normal
Nice to know. Was considering a lift kit "when I win the lottery" and want to go spindle lift which they say puts the front wheels out a bit, which means putting spacers on the back to balance it out. Also hope to tow with it so naturally is a concern.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Nice to know. Was considering a lift kit "when I win the lottery" and want to go spindle lift which they say puts the front wheels out a bit, which means putting spacers on the back to balance it out. Also hope to tow with it so naturally is a concern.
Oh yeah, you'll be fine!
Old 04-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had spacers on for years with no negative effects, mine are 1-3/4" and are used to change the bolt pattern to the Ram pattern. I haven't had a wheel bearing issues to speak of. I did notice I feel a bit more stable while towing (because of the wider track maybe) just make sure you get a hub centric set or at a minimum us a caliper to make sure you are as close to centered as humanly possible. They solved my rubbing issue on my 2wd screw running 33s

Last edited by 4.30Screw; 04-20-2017 at 12:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MrXLT (04-23-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 5,555 Likes on 4,632 Posts

So a 4" suspension lift is out of the question ? Expensive for sure, but a good look if you don't have the body lift. Plus you can keep you factory pre-load with the right lift.

Or are you going with spacers for more than just clearance...the stance perhaps ?
Old 04-20-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

I'm still going to take off this 3" BL I put on and I'm considering not going with a Lift at all. Just take my Running boards off and run it that way again. Since getting the Mustang I've been wanting to concentrate on one proble.. I mean project at a time.

The RCX 5" lift is still a consideration though because of the 35's but I'd want to run the least amount of lift with it I can. I should have listened to you in the beginning about the BL but I was certain I didn't really need anything more.

I guess I should also consider getting new wheels as an option too. That would take care of my issues without changing anything else.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 5,555 Likes on 4,632 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolvee
I'm still going to take off this 3" BL I put on and I'm considering not going with a Lift at all. Just take my Running boards off and run it that way again. Since getting the Mustang I've been wanting to concentrate on one proble.. I mean project at a time.

The RCX 5" lift is still a consideration though because of the 35's but I'd want to run the least amount of lift with it I can. I should have listened to you in the beginning about the BL but I was certain I didn't really need anything more.

I guess I should also consider getting new wheels as an option too. That would take care of my issues without changing anything else.
Well, I think most of us have to suffer a body lift at least once during our time lol.

Right, that's what is so good about the correct susp lift. A 5" lft at 4" maintains factory pre sets, saves the ride quality. A 4" w/35's looks good as well.

I like those wheels you have on that truck, -it's an offset option to consider though. I'm not sure what's available, but you have most likley researched that already.

Decisions ehh lol. Get the truck solid so you can play with that Stang.