Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Prob a dumb hid question lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Prob a dumb hid question lol

okay i have these fog lights on my truck in the picture. I found the bulb size and was looking at converting them into hid. I know it would take some modifiction to get them to fit right but i think it would go good with the hid headlights i have. Okay heres the question. I have the lights ran to a toggle switch, would putting hids into them would it be to much for the toggle switch? or would my best bet be running them into the low beam?

thanks in advanced!
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

It should not affect the toggle. HIDs draw less power than a halogen.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JDubUB
It should not affect the toggle. HIDs draw less power than a halogen.
alright awesome
Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well if you are running just a toggle from a battery source, you will prolly go threw many switches. The proper way to install them is using a relay so your switch acts only as a switch, turning the relay off and on. You can use a 4 prong 30amp relay.... or about any other one that has the breaker schematic on the side (ive used 5 and 6 prongs but cut off the ones i didnt use) So you should run a positive wire from a fuse box opening or acc(switches off and on with ignition) to your toggle. Then run your positive from there to the relay.(switched wire on relay schematics) Then you need to run a wire directly from a batter terminal or junction block (please use a fused connection with a terminal, looks better and way safer) to the relay.(i put relays by battery so the hot wire is short) you also have to ground your relay for it to function. the last wire is from the relay to your lights. Many ppl make the mistake of running ground wires to battery , but best if you just use a short wire to the frame for ground from the lights, plus less wires makes it easier to hide and cheaper. check this lil diagram out.

Quick Reply: Prob a dumb hid question lol