Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

preference on coil on plug's, which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default preference on coil on plug's, which ones?

was going to do the spark plugs on my 01 4.6l and was going to also swap out the COP's with new ones. i see the motorcraft ones are 52$ a piece and you can get accel's for 199$ and msd's for 319$ from summit. do you guys have any preference over the others or bad experiences?

Last edited by TheBathTub; 06-30-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

I have heard a lot of guys who insist on Motorcraft. For spark plugs I would definitely recommend Motorcraft. The aluminum heads on your 4.6 engine do not work well with most other brand of spark plug. If your COP's are working well, why would you want to change them? I would just add di-electric grease to the connection between the plug and the COP and stick with what you have. You could also add the di-electric grease to the connection from the wire harness to the COP. The COP's usually only go bad from handling, ruff treatment, or lots of dirt, oil etc on the engine.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Motorcraft has done me well. Along with Bosch. Don't fix it, if it aint broke. Like Frank said, a lil elecrtical grease keeps shorts from forming and prevents alot of dirt and mud from stopping connections.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:12 PM

the spark plugs would def be motorcraft, and the only reason i want to swap all of them for new ones is because i see some of them are mismatched as in they have been replaced before. i only got the truck back in december from a dealership and while it has been extremely reliable at over 200,000 miles it has had its quirks since i got it. i just want it maintained as well as possible. if that means spendin a little extra dough on my other half, hehe, i will.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:58 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBathTub
the spark plugs would def be motorcraft, and the only reason i want to swap all of them for new ones is because i see some of them are mismatched as in they have been replaced before. i only got the truck back in december from a dealership and while it has been extremely reliable at over 200,000 miles it has had its quirks since i got it. i just want it maintained as well as possible. if that means spendin a little extra dough on my other half, hehe, i will.
If you are going to change them, I would go with motorcraft and you can often find good prices on them out on Ebay. Some other maintenance items that may or may not have been done or considered are as follows

Change fuel filter

Change air filter

change PCV Valve and inspect and change as necessary vacuum line to PCV

Spray MAF sensor with MAF Sensor cleaner and clean with rags. Cleaner available at Autozone or others. This does wonders for engine.

Add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to next tank of gas. I use Lucas brand.

Inspect and replace as necessary all hoses and Belt.

Flush and refill cooling system

Service transmission and transfer case

Flush brake lines

When you change plugs, clean the plug socket with a round wire plumbers brush, WD40 and rags to get out all the grease and crud. This makes sure the plugs seat properly and don't come loose.

You can do all of the above for less than $200 if you DIY and it will get your truck running great and avoid problems in the future.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM

ive actually done all of this in the last month or so, and actually had the throttlebody off completely to clean it only to find one of the egr ports on the bottom end of the throttlebody was completely clogged, replaced fuel filter, pcv, some misc hoses, cleaned the IAC, maf sensor all of that. this is basically my last stop was plugs and COPs. great info tho thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Expensive coils won't make one bit of difference on your truck. I paid $104 for 8 coils and 8 Motorcraft plugs on ebay over a year ago. Still running great!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ebay For The COPs http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 Your choice of plugs. Just stay away from Champion.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM

idk i seen alot of bad stuff about all the cheaper items on ebay. was it any particular brand that you got?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Motorcraft only in my high-performance Mustang. I've had other brands fail on me. Then again, I've had Motorcraft COPs fail, too.

If your truck is a beater like mine, it shouldn't matter much.

Quick Reply: preference on coil on plug's, which ones?