Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Power Window Slow Travel

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Power Window Slow Travel

My 2000 drivers side window works great. The passenger side seem like it's getting stuck half way through its travel. I had the inner door panel off while replacing the lock actuator and lubed the rails, checked for obstructions. Everything seemed fine, still lags for 2/3rds of the the travel.
Anyone else have this? Possible cause/fix? Or is the motor just going out.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 426 Likes on 323 Posts

How many amps is it drawling?
Old 09-27-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I had this problem, after replacing the motor (and not fixing the problem) i found out it was a track issue. The top of the aft track has a clip on it which pops out of position. Feel up there and see if it's in place. It was a couple of years ago so i don't recall exactly what i had to do but it wasn't a major job.

-Kirk
Old 09-27-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 185 Likes on 179 Posts

I have the same issue, it takes a while to go down, but comes up just fine?
Old 09-27-2015, 04:25 PM

After reading what kirklandkie said, it made sense so I went out, took off my door panel, and began trying to find this clip. Couldn't find it, so I just assumed beings that nothing is popping in, it is already in.

I was then wandering maybe if I grease up the tracks if that would help. No help, made a big mess, but it's lubricated lol.

I then decided I'll push or pull on the tracks because the truck is 18 years old, maybe they are warped? Pushed the outside one, and pulled it, no difference. Did the inside one and when I pushed toward the cab, the window works perfectly. Now I'm back to trying to find a clip. Couldn't find a clip, found a bolt at the bottom that I thought was attached to the track, so I loosen it, push the track, and tighten this bolt. Wala, problem solved.

If you have the same issue, make your life easier and take out the speaker. I thought it was complicated but it's just 4 screws, then it has a magnent so you just stick it on the door out of your way lol.

The bolt I loosened is way down there at the bottom, I took the speaker out and pushed the truck toward the cab, and tightened it back up.

EDIT: This is the passenger side door, I got family showing up for the Hawks game tonight, I'll probably tackle the drivers side tomorrow if it's a sunny day.
The following users liked this post:
Tundra Dweller (09-28-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:39 AM

Received 5,607 Likes on 4,678 Posts

Great post, I'll have to try that. Mine slows way down half way up, then speeds back up and closes. I did lube the frame, no difference. I didn't go any further than that...iduno, didn't feel like it I guess lol.

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Red-Ford
After reading what kirklandkie said, it made sense so I went out, took off my door panel, and began trying to find this clip. Couldn't find it, so I just assumed beings that nothing is popping in, it is already in.

I was then wandering maybe if I grease up the tracks if that would help. No help, made a big mess, but it's lubricated lol.

I then decided I'll push or pull on the tracks because the truck is 18 years old, maybe they are warped? Pushed the outside one, and pulled it, no difference. Did the inside one and when I pushed toward the cab, the window works perfectly. Now I'm back to trying to find a clip. Couldn't find a clip, found a bolt at the bottom that I thought was attached to the track, so I loosen it, push the track, and tighten this bolt. Wala, problem solved.

If you have the same issue, make your life easier and take out the speaker. I thought it was complicated but it's just 4 screws, then it has a magnent so you just stick it on the door out of your way lol.

The bolt I loosened is way down there at the bottom, I took the speaker out and pushed the truck toward the cab, and tightened it back up.

EDIT: This is the passenger side door, I got family showing up for the Hawks game tonight, I'll probably tackle the drivers side tomorrow if it's a sunny day.
Fantastic, I will dig into this soon. I did replace the speakers and lock actuator in that door so I know how to get in there.
Will post what I find. Just to clarify, You loosened the bottom rail pivot, pushed it toward the cab and tightened it?
Old 09-28-2015, 11:04 AM

Yes, if you look at my shadow it's the one just below my neck. I loosened that, then pushed the track towards the cab through the hole that the speaker used to be in, and then tightened the bolt back up.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate when these sort of things happen. Had it happen to my vehicles before. My power windows on my screw is working great now, but should I spray wd-40 to lube the inside to keep it running good? any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2002SCREWLARIAT
Hate when these sort of things happen. Had it happen to my vehicles before. My power windows on my screw is working great now, but should I spray wd-40 to lube the inside to keep it running good? any suggestions?
You could, MAKE SURE YOU DON't SPRAY THE WINDOW. I just use grease because I know that will stay on there, WD-40 will dry out faster than grease.

Quick Reply: Power Window Slow Travel