Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Power Door Locks Possessed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Power Door Locks Possessed?

So, this past winter, my wife & I were dropping off some "stuff" at my daughter's house, a cold, dark evening, so I left my 2003 F150 running with the heat on while we were unloading. Not five minutes later, the doors were locked & we couldn't get in. Naturally, I blamed my wife, thinking she must have hit the lock button when she got out. Just yesterday, I left it running in my driveway while I got out to move something in the garage, & again,the doors locked themselves pretty much right away! What in the hell is going on here?????
Old 06-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,689 Likes on 591 Posts

Welcome to GEM's-ville. Many of the 97-03 members have been there, myself included on my old '02. Feel free to search General Electronics Module.

Cliffs Notes: windshield is leaking onto the GEM under the left side of the dash. Causes all kinds of electrical gremlins. I'd bet that if you push on the upper corners of the windshield, it'll move. The main correct option is to pull the windshield and reseal it, then address the GEM. A rice container and a day or two should dry it out well enough. Apply dielectric grease to the connector afterwards. If removal of the windshield isn't a financial option, take foaming carpet cleaner and spray the outside edges of the windshield all the way around and use an air compressor inside all the way around. This will allow you to pin point your leaking area. Address that as you see fit and then address the GEM in the same manner I address above.

Last edited by Lenn; 06-25-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:09 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Lenn....use a small open container and put some Damprid in it. It comes scented or non-scented versions. It is a charcoal absorbent, and is cheap. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot for $4. for a 32 oz bag. I use it in my closets also. It gives off a nice smell and keeps any kind of moisture down to a minimum.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:30 PM

Received 5,610 Likes on 4,681 Posts

Right, the GEM. The GEM will also trigger the doors if the battery is low or has a bad cell.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

From your owners manual

Autolock (if equipped) This feature will automatically lock all the doors when: • all the doors are closed, • the ignition key is in the ON position, • the gearshift lever is shifted into R reverse or a forward gear and • the brake pedal is released. This feature will also automatically relock all the doors when: • the ignition is running and any door is opened then closed, and • you put the vehicle in motion by releasing the brake pedal.

Last edited by kd4gij; 06-26-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

You can also disable the autolock feature- there is a post here somewhere- i used it to disable mine. Try a search for it, cause i cant remember where it was.
The following users liked this post:
oldog97 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by kd4gij
From your owners manual

Autolock (if equipped) This feature will automatically lock all the doors when: • all the doors are closed, • the ignition key is in the ON position, • the gearshift lever is shifted into R reverse or a forward gear and • the brake pedal is released. This feature will also automatically relock all the doors when: • the ignition is running and any door is opened then closed, and • you put the vehicle in motion by releasing the brake pedal.

This sounds exactly like my issue, thanks!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by rcairbear
You can also disable the autolock feature- there is a post here somewhere- i used it to disable mine. Try a search for it, cause i cant remember where it was.
Time to go on a search, thanks!