Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Pinging!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinging!!!

my truck is a 98 4x4 4.6 with 131l miles. it wont stop pinging. ive changed plugs with motorcraft and changed wires with autolite. i have cleaned the maf too, i have tried running 93 ocatane with no difference and tried sea foam in the take and the combustion chamber with no difference. im stuck. any help would be appreciated
Old 12-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man I had the same prob with my 98 triton. it would ping on start up and under load. I did everything to try and fix it. Come to find out it was my oil. These motors are so tightly built it does not require a thick oil. So I went to factory 5w20 motorcraft oil and a anti drain back pop filter and have not had a problem yet with it. Hope this helps u out bc I know the noise got on my nerves everytime I drove it.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 PM

i would also like to add that sometimes not all the time that when im driving that it will feel sluggish and when i give it more throttle it still feels that way until it gets to higher rpm then it feels like its got a huge boost of power and takes off
Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dreweeee
i would also like to add that sometimes not all the time that when im driving that it will feel sluggish and when i give it more throttle it still feels that way until it gets to higher rpm then it feels like its got a huge boost of power and takes off
This prob isnt the case but you dont have an exhaust/header leak do you? It could actually be a ticking header/manifold leak and your losing torque which is why you got no torque in the low-mid rpms.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:15 AM
Junior Whopper

An exhaust leak will cause less back pressure and if the leak is bad enough, the computer will go into "***** mode" which robs all your power and makes your mileage worse..
Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM

i know its not an exhaust leak i have already fixed those in the past. i didnt try the oil yet but its probably the only thing i havent tried. i cant seem to figure it out

Quick Reply: Pinging!!!