Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

PCV plastic vacuum line location behind eng?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV plastic vacuum line location behind eng?

Does anyone know where this plastic line goes to behind the engine? There isn't much room back there due to the bulkhead making it difficult to feel what is back there. It's a huge vacuum leak because I can hear it and the engine is barely idling.

I had to leave the work truck at the shop because I didn't want the engine to run lean from unmetered air bypassing the MAF and risk burning something up. Tomorrow, it will be round two trying to figure this out, without the vacuum diagram sticker on the radiator core support, in the morning so if anyone has an idea, please do share!

1999 F-150 5.4L

Last edited by bluecar5556; 10-07-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 AM
FNG

It appears that one end has a worn rubber elbow; that end should connect to your PCV valve. The bare plastic end should connect to a port on the back intake riser (it's the curved metal piece between the t-body and intake manifold). Also, there should be a rubber coupling to connect the plastic hose to the metal vacuum port. I've posted a video that may help.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ahubbard...72/7UL6yST1aUY
Old 10-08-2011, 06:23 PM

Taking the TB off wasn't what I planned but thank you so much for the help, dcrawford!
Old 10-08-2011, 06:44 PM
FNG

You shouldn't need to remove the TB. I could be wrong... I have the 4.6L, so I am unaware of any differences in vacuum hose routing on the 5.4L. For me, it was tight to access the hose at the rear of the TB, but not impossible. The video was intented to show you the PCV line as a whole, brand new unit. I hope you were able to fix the problem.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM
FNG

Ah ha, I watched the video again. It helps if I know what I am talking about! I did not realize the differences in the 4.6L and 5.4L intakes. Make sure the rubber elbows have no holes. The one at the back of the intake is notorious for leaking. I think you can order the entire plastic PCV line inclusive of PCV valve and rubber elbows for around $30.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Worked on my cousin's boat yesterday but had some time to take off the TB this morning and you won't believe how badly the rubber dealy is deteriorated, indicated by the red arrow. I'm surprised it didn't have a big vacuum leak, judging by the condition of the rubber dealy, but even if I managed to plug the hose back in w/o removing TB, there would have been a leak, most definitely.

Now my question is if the PCV valve already has intake manifold vacuum from the passenger side of intake, what use is the other one that is broke connecting to the rear of the intake?

You have been a huge help dcrawford, thanks again. Now it's time to give the stealership a visit tomorrow for the hose and assortments of proprietary rubber ford parts.

Last edited by bluecar5556; 10-09-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

On the PI 5.4 its more efficient according to ford. The revised pcv hose is just one coupling that goes to the rear of the manifold...
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
FNG

Are you talking about the other hose that connects to the driver side valve cover? If so, I think it's just a breather. You have two viable repair options: 1) Redneck engineer your plastic hoses back together with "patches" of EFI hose (and zebra stripe duct tape), or 2) Purchase both lines new from the dealership. I think both PCV lines are priced reasonably. I'll see if I can help locate part numbers.

Quick Reply: PCV plastic vacuum line location behind eng?