Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Parking brake and body lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM
All Wooded Out

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parking brake and body lift

So I didnt see this mentioned in the instructions. When you lift the body the position of the cable for the parking brake shifts a bit. I can tell because I see shiny wire where the rest is undercoated/dirty.

Is this something to worry about? I have no electronic indicator that the PB is on, so I am wondering how to tell if its engaged.

Or is the pedal the only way to engage it? In other words despite the cable moving it still is only engaged if the pedal is depressed?

Thanks for any help. Just want to check before I drive around and get 5 mpg
Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It may be slightly engaged. Might need to adjust it a little.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I know I'm new here but this is just my .02 cents.

I have a 2001 ford f150 with a custom 8inch lift that I purchased a while ago. When my parking brake is engaged the light indicator is not on. I've looked into it and do not see any indication that the brake is engaged when released. Logically, I would assume that even if your parking brake was slightly engaged; it would soon wear out enough were it is no longer is engaged. So if you don't feel much resistance while driving I would think you would be fine. Even if your PB is worn a little it should still hold your truck on an incline just fine. Only worry about it if you can tell it is on.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
All Wooded Out

Thanks guys. How do I go about adjusting it?

Rippin - That makes sense. I suppose its nothing to worry about if its slightly engaged. I just cant really tell.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 PM

If you can't tell their on I'd leave them be. But here is a step by step I found on google.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7291700_adju...ord-f_150.html

Not sure if this will be exactly the same steps for your truck. I think the steps would be similar.

Last edited by Rippin Lips; 10-24-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:01 PM
All Wooded Out

I drove it around and it might be slightly. I havent driven it in two months so its really hard to compare, but it does feel a bit held back.

Do you know if the "adjustment star" under the "dust plate" is near the front or rear axle? Ill have to get out there and poke around in a bit.

It may be one of those things once I start fooling with it it will make sense.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:47 PM

Rear axle as far as I know. Was double checking for you and having a hell of a time locating it when I realized my parking brake was on. Anyway, I don't have the time at the moment to chalk my tires and disengage the brake to make sure. If you need more info just do a google search for: how to adjust F150 parking brake. Should be plenty of info and step by steps.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:19 PM
All Wooded Out

Thanks for the help.

I finally got a chance to just crawl under and look. You can actually see the little levers the cable pulls on if you really get under there. You can tell by looking at those if it is engaged. Mine are not despite the cable being a bit taught.

So good to go!

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Parking brake and body lift