Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions

hello all just made an account, you can call me Noble if you feel like. I live in Florida and go to school for mechanical engineering (currently ending my second year).

So i bought a 2000 f150 last year, 4.6, 4x4, 5 speed manual, about 185000 miles on it, little bit of rust on the roof and underneath. It needed an engine when i bought it so i found a 5.4 from a 2001 in a pull and pay junkyard that i swapped in it. comes to find out 3rd gear grinds (assumes the synchro is going).

skip forward a year it now has 190000 miles on it and drives fairly nice needs some more work, but that comes when i have the money. The 3rd gear is slowly been getting on my nerves although i have figured out how to shift with little to no grinding by now. Also start in 2nd as 1st seems to low (hence a granny gear for towing). Was wondering if anyone can confirm it this transmission is the M5OD-R2? and if so has anyone had any trouble rebuilding them?

The exhaust system is badly rusted, it likes to rotate up against the bottom of the bed now. have tried to tack it together so it wouldn't but over time it breaks. have thought about putting a SISO magnaflow exhaust in it. any opinion on this?

thanks for your time.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Yes, the trans is the M5OD. It probably is only a shift fork problem why you are having a problem going into 3rd. The shift forks wear really bad, and when that happens, they don't fully throw the collar, thus causing a grinding. I'd pull the top and look at the shift forks. I'd also check the shifter ball (white plastic piece) where the ball is on the bottom of the shifter. They can wear. If it is low on transmission fluid, you may have the shifter pins end seals leaking. This is another common problem. The forks are the only cost items, as the seal kit is cheap as well as the shifter ball. They make steel and aluminum forks, so you will have to know if you are ordering them.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the information, ill have to take the top off one weekend coming up, and get back to you.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:09 AM

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,615 Posts

If your shifter seals are leaking, don't put the original type (rubber) back in there. There is a kit that replaces those seals with freeze plugs... or some guys just fill them with silicone.

Here is one of the kits right here on Ebay... and it shows the insane factory setup as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Madza-5...-/181935036759
Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 AM

Also, if your shifter is really wobbly, and does not return to "home" on its own.... replace the shifter assembly. Those will also contribute to trans failure if they are not working correctly.

The M5OD is a great trans with a couple of weaknesses. Another is the grinding issue going into reverse. There is also an update for that.... but it requires you also replace 4th gear. Then of course, as AK mentioned, the forks are also a weakness. Can't remember for sure, but I think there is also a new update for those as well. I think they changed the shifter pads on them in an update.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:17 AM

The shifter, bushings, and shift forks are all accessible from the top cover too.... so that's something else to consider.

There are some good pics here:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...cs-inside.html