Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

oil in coolant. liquid headgasket fix anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in coolant. liquid headgasket fix anyone?

The problem is very slight at this point but last time i changed the coolant it had the dirty look that a small amount of oil can cause. also the dealership said awhile back that there was some oil coming from near the valve covers.

i'm sure with 160,000mi this is kinda normal, no?

but anyway, for a small headgasket problem like this, i'm curious about those copper and ceramic based products that are flushed through the motor.

any experience with these?

my mechanic brags about fixing cars with headgaskets so bad their exhaust is blowing white steam/smoke and then it goes away after a flush with some mystery stuff. he won't tell me what product he uses though or weather it is something he has to order.

BONUS QUESTION for 50pts: why does my truck start so easily in the morning but then shorty after a drive it has to crank many times before starting? vapor lock? i had a VW that would do this. sometimes wouldn't even start for hours after being run hard. was the fuel pump.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

head gasket possibly, I've never believed in a fix in a bottle.

on the other cranking easy in the morning and not other times, is electronics when getting hot start to break down more, when there cool, their like new... so to say.?.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Don't know what you drive but stretch bolts are probably stretched and head gaskets are going away. If it gets worse you know what to do. Sometimes one of them stretch bolts gets MM's thinner in diameter when measured against a new one. Thinner meant they got longer and the threads deformed some also. Longer head bolts mean less hold down pressure, thus a leaky/blown head gasket.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

I used Bar's Head Gasket Fix in a can on my old ranger (http://www.barsproducts.com/1111.htm).
After I was charged $1400 from a "reputable" shop in town to mill the heads and new gaskets they started leaking again two months later. I used this $30 instant fix and it lasted the seven months I had my ranger w/o issues. My dads co-worker used this on his grand prix and its been good for the last year. I'm a firm believer in this product so if it is a head gasket i'd try this $30 fix before going into a four digit repair.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my gramps used irontight, lasted in his grandam for 2 years.
i used it on a civic a while back and the motor blew not even a week later, but that was a bad motor.. id say use it befor it gets to bad

Quick Reply: oil in coolant. liquid headgasket fix anyone?