Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Noisy Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Noisy Leaf Springs

Hello all,

For this weekends project, I would like to change out my 4 02 sensors and resolve my noisy leaf springs.

Now, I know it is not my shocks that are squeaking (embarrassingly I might add), I'm fairly certain it's coming from the leaf spring. They still have bend to them (I will upload a picture shorty). I've been reading that there is rubber or some kind of insulator between the springs that tend to wear out and cause the squeaking. Is this my best bet? I will upload a pic of springs in a minute.

Also, if it is the insulator pad between the springs, how easy are they to change out?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by joe8512; 04-24-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by joe8512

Hello all,

For this weekends project, I would like to change out my 4 02 sensors and resolve my noisy leaf springs.

Now, I know it is not my shocks that are squeaking (embarrassingly I might add), I'm fairly certain it's coming from the leaf spring. They still have bend to them (I will upload a picture shorty). I've been reading that there is rubber or some kind of insulator between the springs that tend to wear out and cause the squeaking. Is this my best bet? I will upload a pic of springs in a minute.

Also, if it is the insulator pad between the springs, how easy are they to change out?

Thanks in advance
You can replace the spring pads easily. Jack the truck up by the frame and the leaf pack will separate enough to get the pads out. Be EXTREMELY careful when installing new pads because if the truck were to come off the jack your fingers are toast. I always use a light coat of lithium grease on the pads and it seems to make them even quieter. Just google the new pads
Old 04-25-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
You can replace the spring pads easily. Jack the truck up by the frame and the leaf pack will separate enough to get the pads out. Be EXTREMELY careful when installing new pads because if the truck were to come off the jack your fingers are toast. I always use a light coat of lithium grease on the pads and it seems to make them even quieter. Just google the new pads
Thanks! I'm having a hard time finding the new pads. The ones on there now look round but the only ones I see online are Rock Auto and look like this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...414639&jsn=455
Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by joe8512
Thanks! I'm having a hard time finding the new pads. The ones on there now look round but the only ones I see online are Rock Auto and look like this:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...414639&jsn=455
Try summit that's where I got a pack
Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

I jacked up the back of the truck by the frame so the axle was hanging and just sprayed some white lithium grease on them, squeaks went away.
That was 10,000 miles ago and they are just now starting to make a little noise.

But maybe
these would work these would work
for replacement? Would need 3 sets total to do both sides.

edit: here are a bunch of different ones on e-bay as well for a little less. Not sure if the truck is 2" or 1 3/4".

Last edited by blupupher; 04-25-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by blupupher
I jacked up the back of the truck by the frame so the axle was hanging and just sprayed some white lithium grease on them, squeaks went away.
That was 10,000 miles ago and they are just now starting to make a little noise.

But maybe these would work for replacement? Would need 3 sets total to do both sides.

edit: here are a bunch of different ones on e-bay as well for a little less. Not sure if the truck is 2" or 1 3/4".
Thanks. What would I measure? The leaf springs are 3" wide.

Quick Reply: Noisy Leaf Springs