Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Noise and Leaking, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Noise and Leaking, need help please

Hi, new to the forum, looks good.

Both of my vehicles broke down today. My F150 is my daily driver. It's a 2001 F150 5.4 V8 4x4. The last couple of days it had been making what I can describe as a bearing noise. Sort of like some grinding. It is worse at start up and is pretty loud. Within a minute the noise subsides and drives fine. The truck has 185,000+ miles on it so I was worried about it being some type of internal engine part.

Today it started leaking a reddish, brownish fluid onto the frame and everything underneath behind the front left tire. I am thinking it looks like power steering fluid but I can be sure. I am also not sure the noise and fluid are connected or not. Like I said, the noise sounds like it's coming from the engine itself or at least I think it is. Here is picture behind the left front tire. What is on that side of the vehicle that would leak like that? Power steering pump?

And if it is the PS pump would that explain the noises I am hearing as well? Also how tough of a job is it to replace if I did it myself?

Last edited by FallGuy44; 07-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Did you check the power steering fluid. Is probably low this will cause the pump to growel even if its not bad. The leak could be just a hose or it could be a pump seal or steering box seal 1st step is to find out whats leaking, fill it with oil start it up and have sombody move the steering back and forth while you are under the truck with a flashlight to find the leak if its a hose just replace it if its a seal your probably better of replaceing the leaking part with a rebuilt rather than trying to rebuild your self. its not hard if you have the tools and dont mind getting dirty
Old 07-08-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
Welcome to the forum. Did you check the power steering fluid. Is probably low this will cause the pump to growel even if its not bad. The leak could be just a hose or it could be a pump seal or steering box seal 1st step is to find out whats leaking, fill it with oil start it up and have sombody move the steering back and forth while you are under the truck with a flashlight to find the leak if its a hose just replace it if its a seal your probably better of replaceing the leaking part with a rebuilt rather than trying to rebuild your self. its not hard if you have the tools and dont mind getting dirty
Thank you! This happened later in the day so I didn't get a chance to check into it very much.

But would a leaky hose or bad pump cause me to hear that loud noise at start up? Like I mentioned it is like a grinding noise almost like a bad bearing or something. It goes away after 15 or 20 seconds. I am just worried I have 2 separate problems that occurred at around the same time. That noise started just about 2 days ago and didn't notice a leak until today.

I do have the tools and have worked on the truck before, just never did a PS pump before.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

The PS pump can make a lot of noise when it gets low on oil. see if it doesnt quiet down when you refill the system you may have to move the wheel lock to lock to work the air out this is best done with the wheels off the ground PS if in doubt slip the belt off and see if the noise is gone.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
The PS pump can make a lot of noise when it gets low on oil. see if it doesnt quiet down when you refill the system you may have to move the wheel lock to lock to work the air out this is best done with the wheels off the ground PS if in doubt slip the belt off and see if the noise is gone.
Thanks Bubba. I have to work on my other vehicle that broke down today so I may be back on Tuesday for more help. I really appreciate it!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly enough, I experienced the same knocking noise you're experiencing with my 4.2L. At first, I was afraid it was a spun bearing or some major internal engine component failure. (see link)

The noise would only sound at start up and would last about 15 - 20 seconds max. However, after a good oil change, the noise went away completely - at least it did around the same time as the oil change haha.

I would check the viscosity of your oil, because I believe that was my main problem. Little did I know at the time that my thermostat was beginning to fail on me, which was causing moisture/antifreeze to leak into the oil causing all sorts of problems.

The best advice I can give, if your knocking is the same as mine was, would be to change your oil (use a good synthetic like Mobile 1 10w30) and also add some Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I've been adding the stuff with every oil change for a while and from what I can tell, it works pretty darn good. Who knows, you may also want to change your thermostat while you're at it lol.

With 270,000 on my little 6 banger, I'm doing everything I can to keep her going. I'll tell you one thing, those engines never skip a beat! Good luck man! All I can say is when it rains, it pours!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Moye10
Oddly enough, I experienced the same knocking noise you're experiencing with my 4.2L. At first, I was afraid it was a spun bearing or some major internal engine component failure. (see link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po47c0uz8lY

The noise would only sound at start up and would last about 15 - 20 seconds max. However, after a good oil change, the noise went away completely - at least it did around the same time as the oil change haha.

I would check the viscosity of your oil, because I believe that was my main problem. Little did I know at the time that my thermostat was beginning to fail on me, which was causing moisture/antifreeze to leak into the oil causing all sorts of problems.

The best advice I can give, if your knocking is the same as mine was, would be to change your oil (use a good synthetic like Mobile 1 10w30) and also add some Lucas Oil Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. I've been adding the stuff with every oil change for a while and from what I can tell, it works pretty darn good. Who knows, you may also want to change your thermostat while you're at it lol.

With 270,000 on my little 6 banger, I'm doing everything I can to keep her going. I'll tell you one thing, those engines never skip a beat! Good luck man! All I can say is when it rains, it pours!
I can't tell if mine sounds the same way or not. I will take a video tomorrow. I just changed the oil about 1000 miles ago with Mobil 1 and did use a quart of Lucas HD oil stabilizer. And yes, when it rains, it pours alright.

Quick Reply: Noise and Leaking, need help please