Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

No Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank No Start

So I have a 2001 F150 4WD XLT with a 5.4 liter. The battery is only 2 months old brand new, the starter is new and the Firewall Solenoid are new the mass air flow sensor is new. About a week ago I changed the AC Compressor and when I was finished I started the truck and left it running. I was using brake parts cleaner to clean off some of the grease on the frame rail in my front passenger wheel well area. I saw sparks at the solenoid on top of the starter motor so i stopped thinking it was the cleaner causing it. When I shut the truck off it wouldn't start back up. I changed the starter and the Firewall solenoid because it would click once which is usually a Solenoid issue. New solenoid and new starter installed still same thing one click. Tested the battery voltage good my ignition switch is sending the 12 volt signal I have power at the starter motor but no power coming out of the new firewall solenoid. Power in but no power out (the top post) what could be the issue. All fuses and relays are good as well. Any thoughts cuz I'm running out of road here
Old 07-14-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

If it was mine, i would check to see if the firewall solenoid was grounded- then i would check the body to frame/engine ground wire connections.( this will be a large cable or braided cable- and may be difficult to see from the top.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:23 PM

I actually ended up pulling the whole cable assembly and rebuilding everything and cleaning my engine compartment so we will see. I included a new fusible link wire as well
Old 07-15-2018, 09:00 AM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Albeno09
I actually ended up pulling the whole cable assembly and rebuilding everything and cleaning my engine compartment so we will see. I included a new fusible link wire as well
Good on you. Let us know what happens. If it still just clicks jump the two post on the firewall solenoid with the ignition in the on position with a screwdriver and see if it turns over.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:00 PM

Well it turned out to be.a bad fusible battery link! I cleaned up the truck really well cleaned and rebuilt my cables and soldered in a new link cable out a new starter in and she is purring like a kitten. The link being bad was allowing to much voltage to the starter and it fried it. Thank God for warranties! That link is just really hard to diagnose.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Albeno09
Well it turned out to be.a bad fusible battery link! I cleaned up the truck really well cleaned and rebuilt my cables and soldered in a new link cable out a new starter in and she is purring like a kitten. The link being bad was allowing to much voltage to the starter and it fried it. Thank God for warranties! That link is just really hard to diagnose.
Good deal man! I did a big 3 upgrade on my truck so I have no links like that. A good warranty is absolutely worth it. Lol

Quick Reply: No Crank No Start