Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Nitto

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitto

anyone run nitto trail grapplers? reviews about them? wear well? traction? ice and snow? gravel durability?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm running 285/70 17 on my Screw. I've always run BFG KO's before, and was hesitant to try the Nittos. I've got about 10k miles on them now.

They work GREAT in the snow. Possibly better than KO's, at least as well as KOs. Rain, same thing. They're quiet on the street, and ride a little softer than KO's, but not too much softer. They're still harsher than something like Long Trail TA's. I can't compare them to Goodyears or Hankooks since I've never run those.

They're wearing well. I'll probably get about the same life I got out of the BFG KOs, which for me is about 35-40K. I'll replace them before that because I can't really let them wear all the way down, I need the traction for my summer camping trips.

Speaking of which, gravel roads ... This is their weakest point performance wise. Don't take this to mean they suck, 'cuz they don't. But there's a place where I go all the time where I'm coming down a fairly steep grade on a hardpacked washboard road with gravel. I pull a 4,000 lb. camper, and this road has a couple slightly off camber sweeping curves. The BFG KO's had a tread pattern with less cross-face openings, and gripped better on the curves. The Nittos have a more open tread when it comes to sideways forces, and tends to give more on these curves. It tends to want to let the back of the truck slide a little if you take this road too fast. The KO's didn't do this.

Overall, I'd highly recommend them. I'll get them again. They're damn near as good as the BFGs and a much better cost. I love the BFG's but they're not worth an extra $50 per tire for 10 miles of gravel road a weekend!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 65 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm getting 295/70/17 trails installed tomorrow. I did a ton of research on them and they seen to be a great tire for the money. I'll post up some pics when I get them.

Quick Reply: Nitto