Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Newb question, 4x4 tire slip

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Newb question, 4x4 tire slip

So today I got stuck in my nearly flat driveway in the icy snow. I had to unit in 4wd and I still had to rock it out. All four wheels were on ice so I could stick my head out the windows and hit the gas and watch the tires spin. What I found strange is that the front passenger side tire spun and the rear tires both spun. I am by no means a mechanical genius, but aren't both front wheels supposed to spin? Or is it like in my car when one tire breaks lose the other does not get any power? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep. open diff up front
The following users liked this post:
striker1211 (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Unless you have locker never will all 4 tires spin. Good Limited Slip and Open Differentials. I use to have a good thread on this, but Idk what I did with it.

Thats very normal.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Indulge us with your knowledge ibd2328 I'm interested
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Search....all this has been covered over and over and over again.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes, this has been gone over multiple times, but I'll chime in cause I'm bored and feel like being helpful lol. An open differential, which is standard on most 2wds and 4x4s, split power evenly between each wheel, until one loses traction then power is transferred to the wheel with the least traction. The reason most vehicles are equipped with open differentials is 1) they're cheap to make and 2) they allow for each wheel to rotate at a different speed throughout turn, stopping them front hopping mid-turn and making various horrible noises In a 4x4 with both front and rear open differentials, the front and rear wheel with the least traction will provide power. Basically its a 2x4. Open diff 2wds are really 1x4s. Now, open diff 4wds are useful because there is a chance that both front wheels or rear wheels will have traction when the other end doesn't and the truck can get out. However, if one front wheel has no traction, and one rear wheel has no traction at the same time, an open diff 4x4 is stuck. OP, the reason both your rear wheels spun and only one front wheel did, is because your rear differential is not an open diff, it is a limited-slip differential. Limited slip differentials are different from open diffs because they allow for different wheel speeds, but after a certain point will lock up and give power to both wheels. This is accomplished from friction plates(called clutch packs) in the differential that allow for force to be transferred to both wheels. Limited slip differentials do have their limits and setbacks though. If too much throttle is given, it can actually beat the friction plates and cause the wheel with least traction to spin. While this is happening, the clutch plates are rapidly being worn down, weakening them. Since the plates are made of a friction material, they also have to be replaced after a while or the differential will not split the traction. Limited slip differentials are normally only available in the rear differential from the factory. These differentials are also pretty weak for serious off-roading, but usually strong enough for the average persons needs. Many aftermarket limited slip differentials do exist though. The highest rated being the Eaton Helical limited slip differential (also known as a Detroit Trueteac). This differential is much stronger than the factory differential and uses helical gears instead of friction plates to actually transfer more power to the wheel with less traction and is totally road friendly. These gears will supposedly never wear out like the friction plates in standard limited slip differentials and are supposed to be maintenance free(from what i've read on multiple forums, this appears to be true). The Detroit Truetrac is also available for front and rear applications and can give you power to all 4 wheels. Other differential types do exist. A favorite among off-roaders is to use a locker in both the front and rear differential. A locker locks both front and rear axles and transfers power evenly to both. This will give the affect most people assume they have when they put their truck into 4x4 in that all 4 wheels give power no matter the traction. The downsides to a locker: 1) they don't allow different wheel speeds and thus can cause wheel hop in the middle of a turn. 2) if an in-experienced driver uses a locker and gives too much throttle to get unstuck, the stress can be too great for an unmodified axle and actually break it. But they are favored for a reason, because, quite frankly, they get the job done(unless you're truly in deep &$&). Then only a tow strap and a friend with another vehicle can help you. Multiple types of lockers exist, some are always on, while others can be turned off an on either electrically or using an air compressor mounted to the differential. These selectable lockers have the true 4x4 advantage when turned on, but act as an open differential when turned off.
ZegaPrime (11-13-2018)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM

Yes, this has been gone over multiple times, but I'll chime in cause I'm bored and feel like being helpful lol. An open differential, which is standard on most 2wds and 4x4s, split power evenly between each wheel, until one loses traction then power is transferred to the wheel with the least traction. The reason most vehicles are equipped with open differentials is 1) they're cheap to make and 2) they allow for each wheel to rotate at a different speed throughout turn, stopping them front hopping mid-turn and making various horrible noises In a 4x4 with both front and rear open differentials, the front and rear wheel with the least traction will provide power. Basically its a 2x4. Open diff 2wds are really 1x4s. Now, open diff 4wds are useful because there is a chance that both front wheels or rear wheels will have traction when the other end doesn't and the truck can get out. However, if one front wheel has no traction, and one rear wheel has no traction at the same time, an open diff 4x4 is stuck. OP, the reason both your rear wheels spun and only one front wheel did, is because your rear differential is not an open diff, it is a limited-slip differential. Limited slip differentials are different from open diffs because they allow for different wheel speeds, but after a certain point will lock up and give power to both wheels. This is accomplished from friction plates(called clutch packs) in the differential that allow for force to be transferred to both wheels. Limited slip differentials do have their limits and setbacks though. If too much throttle is given, it can actually beat the friction plates and cause the wheel with least traction to spin. While this is happening, the clutch plates are rapidly being worn down, weakening them. Since the plates are made of a friction material, they also have to be replaced after a while or the differential will not split the traction. Limited slip differentials are normally only available in the rear differential from the factory. These differentials are also pretty weak for serious off-roading, but usually strong enough for the average persons needs. Many aftermarket limited slip differentials do exist though. The highest rated being the Eaton Helical limited slip differential (also known as a Detroit Trueteac). This differential is much stronger than the factory differential and uses helical gears instead of friction plates to actually transfer more power to the wheel with less traction and is totally road friendly. These gears will supposedly never wear out like the friction plates in standard limited slip differentials and are supposed to be maintenance free(from what i've read on multiple forums, this appears to be true). The Detroit Truetrac is also available for front and rear applications and can give you power to all 4 wheels. Other differential types do exist. A favorite among off-roaders is to use a locker in both the front and rear differential. A locker locks both front and rear axles and transfers power evenly to both. This will give the affect most people assume they have when they put their truck into 4x4 in that all 4 wheels give power no matter the traction. The downsides to a locker: 1) they don't allow different wheel speeds and thus can cause wheel hop in the middle of a turn. 2) if an in-experienced driver uses a locker and gives too much throttle to get unstuck, the stress can be too great for an unmodified axle and actually break it. But they are favored for a reason, because, quite frankly, they get the job done(unless you're truly in deep &$&). Then only a tow strap and a friend with another vehicle can help you. Multiple types of lockers exist, some are always on, while others can be turned off an on either electrically or using an air compressor mounted to the differential. These selectable lockers have the true 4x4 advantage when turned on, but act as an open differential when turned off.
ZegaPrime (11-13-2018)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 PM

My phones glitching. Sorry if i posted that twice or not at all
ZegaPrime (11-13-2018)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:55 PM

Yes, this has been gone over multiple times, but I'll chime in cause I'm bored and feel like being helpful lol.

An open differential, which is standard on most 2wds and 4x4s, split power evenly between each wheel, until one loses traction then power is transferred to the wheel with the least traction. The reason most vehicles are equipped with open differentials is 1) they're cheap to make and 2) they allow for each wheel to rotate at a different speed throughout turn, stopping them front hopping mid-turn and making various horrible noises In a 4x4 with both front and rear open differentials, the front and rear wheel with the least traction will provide power. Basically its a 2x4. Open diff 2wds are really 1x4s. Now, open diff 4wds are useful because there is a chance that both front wheels or rear wheels will have traction when the other end doesn't and the truck can get out. However, if one front wheel has no traction, and one rear wheel has no traction at the same time, an open diff 4x4 is stuck.

OP, the reason both your rear wheels spun and only one front wheel did, is because your rear differential is not an open diff, it is a limited-slip differential. Limited slip differentials are different from open diffs because they allow for different wheel speeds, but after a certain point will lock up and give power to both wheels. This is accomplished from friction plates(called clutch packs) in the differential that allow for force to be transferred to both wheels.

Limited slip differentials do have their limits and setbacks though. If too much throttle is given, it can actually beat the friction plates and cause the wheel with least traction to spin. While this is happening, the clutch plates are rapidly being worn down, weakening them. Since the plates are made of a friction material, they also have to be replaced after a while or the differential will not split the traction.

Limited slip differentials are normally only available in the rear differential from the factory. These differentials are also pretty weak for serious off-roading, but usually strong enough for the average persons needs. Many aftermarket limited slip differentials do exist though. The highest rated being the Eaton Helical limited slip differential (also known as a Detroit Trueteac). This differential is much stronger than the factory differential and uses helical gears instead of friction plates to actually transfer more power to the wheel with less traction and is totally road friendly. These gears will supposedly never wear out like the friction plates in standard limited slip differentials and are supposed to be maintenance free(from what i've read on multiple forums, this appears to be true). The Detroit Truetrac is also available for front and rear applications and can give you power to all 4 wheels.

Other differential types do exist. A favorite among off-roaders is to use a locker in both the front and rear differential. A locker locks both front and rear axles and transfers power evenly to both. This will give the affect most people assume they have when they put their truck into 4x4 in that all 4 wheels give power no matter the traction. The downsides to a locker: 1) they don't allow different wheel speeds and thus can cause wheel hop in the middle of a turn. 2) if an in-experienced driver uses a locker and gives too much throttle to get unstuck, the stress can be too great for an unmodified axle and actually break it. But they are favored for a reason, because, quite frankly, they get the job done(unless you're truly in deep &$&). Then only a tow strap and a friend with another vehicle can help you.

Multiple types of lockers exist, some are always on, while others can be turned off an on either electrically or using an air compressor mounted to the differential. These selectable lockers have the true 4x4 advantage when turned on, but act as an open differential when turned off.
ZegaPrime (11-13-2018)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Other differential types do exist. A favorite among off-roaders is to use a locker in both the front and rear differential. A locker locks both front and rear axles and transfers power evenly to both. This will give the affect most people assume they have when they put their truck into 4x4 in that all 4 wheels give power no matter the traction. The downsides to a locker: 1) they don't allow different wheel speeds and thus can cause wheel hop in the middle of a turn. 2) if an in-experienced driver uses a locker and gives too much throttle to get unstuck, the stress can be too great for an unmodified axle and actually break it. But they are favored for a reason, because, quite frankly, they get the job done(unless you're truly in deep &$&). Then only a tow strap and a friend with another vehicle can help you. Multiple types of lockers exist, some are always on, while others can be turned off an on either electrically or using an air compressor mounted to the differential. These selectable lockers have the true 4x4 advantage when turned on, but act as an open differential when turned off.
ZegaPrime (11-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Newb question, 4x4 tire slip