Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

New with no A/C :-(

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with no A/C :-(

Hey guys (and gals),

New to the board and wanted to say HI!

Here is my 2000 F-150:

OK...so let's get right into it!

I bought this truck late last summer. The A/C worked fine and was ice cold. The weather has been getting a little warmer and a few days ago I decided it was hot enough to roll up the "winders" and turn on the A/C...except it didn't get cold.

First thought: low freon...nope hooked up a can and a gauge and it reads just fine.

Second thought: fuse, relay, bad conection...nope checked all the fuses and relays that are listed as A/C and no go...also checked all the connections I can find (compressor, pressure switch, etc) still no go.

I can spin the clutch on the compressor by hand, but it does not engage no matter what mode the control is in (max ac, reg ac or defrost).

Anybody have any ideas???

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 10:44 PM
mmmm.....

wait, so does the blower motor kick on?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by tonkatruck66
wait, so does the blower motor kick on?
Yup...blower works fine...everything is normal including a good reading on a gauge hooked up to the low pressure port (so I don't think low freon is an issue). The compressor does not run in any A/C setting. Last time I used the A/C was probably last fall (late Sept maybe) and it worked and was super cold.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:03 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

carefully run a pair of wires from you battery, pull the power plug from the clutch electromagnetic ring, and very carefully connect the wire to the two posts in the plug if The Clutch snaps the clutch is good. Then check for power at the connector that plugs into the clutch, and just start back. I just purchased a subscription in
to AllData because I have a similar problem with the A/C system in my 95 F150. It gave me a complete wiring schematic for the system and I see there are a number of things to check. This 24.95 subscription is going to save me a bunch of hair pulling, speaking in tongues, and time.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

compressor clutch coil that sucks the end plate in. Make sure you have 12v to it with ac on and koer If you do then I usually VERY carefully!!!! and do at yer own risk i take a prybar or piece of wood and very quickly smack the end of the compressor plate to help it engage then it should take off spinning.. Just make sure you dont get what ever you use caught in the nubs on the end plate. I always do that just to verify before i disssemble and replace the clutch coil and end plate
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Verify power. Check fuses if you do not have power. Then check the pressure switches.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You may also have a clogged orriface tube.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I'll go mess with some stuff and see what happens.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2008, 12:04 AM

OK...I tried tapping on the clutch and checked for power...no go with the tap tap and no power so I tried "hot wiring" the compressor off the battery as mentioned above and got it to click...then went ahead and forced the compressor to run and no cold air...so I went back to the low freon line of thinking...Yesterday when I tried to charge it I got a weird high pitch whistle and it wouldn't take any freon...today after forcing the compressor to run I was able to get it to charge...put two cans or freon in and it blows super cold again...I guess maybe it was low on freon and had a blockage somewhere that was keeping it from charging until I forced the compressor and "blew" it out. Who knows, but I'm sure glad to have it fixed without having to spend $$$ on it.

Thanks again to those who made suggestions!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:02 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wish me luck I have to fix my A/C to,

Quick Reply: New with no A/C :-(