Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Nerf bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nerf bars

After the 3" stainless ones more for side protection than getting in and out!

Has anyone seen wheel to wheel ones for a regular cab? I can find plenty of the normal step length but still leaves part of truck exposed to carpark dings.

Cheers in advance

Brian
Old 06-05-2017, 02:22 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Brian,,,,you would have nothing to mount them to behind the cab, that is why you don't see much other than the fiberglass body units. Also the bed moves independent of the cab, so that would cause a problem also.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:28 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

All the Nerf bars I have had on other vehicles mounted to the frame.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 AM

I was just going off our factory mounting, not frame mounts. I thought that was what he was asking, factory 3 inch chrome bars.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:57 AM

HI guys

Thanks for your quick responses, much appreciated as always.

Over here the F150 is a big truck, extra wide for our tiny car parking places [small country, too many people, not enough space].

I love using my truck, I don't think I'd ever find a better one and it'd break my heart if somebody dinged the side of it. I dread the supermarket run, the truck fills the whole bay which means whoever parks beside you is gonna hit your truck.

As my truck isn't raised [yet] the nerf bars are going to be side protection more than steps, mind you they would be handy for washing the roof so dual purpose. I know some of them fit to the chassis rails and some fit to the sills? [what we call them]. The chassis rail ones I can only imagine would be stronger and I'd prefer them if I can find them.
I have found wheel to wheel ones here but only in black, I have had powder coated stuff before [UK] and it doesn't last very long before it starts rusting out from under coating.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nfb-f9765rc

I am really after 3" stainless steel ones so they match my blingy wheels, can't find those anywhere and don't know what to ask for.

We have quite a few truck lengths with the extra cab etc, if they were mounted to the chassis would they fit my truck? has anyone got them that could measure the length for me please?
I don't have UK suppliers with these in stock, don't know anyone else with an F150 and it will cost me hundreds of pounds to get a set over here which I don't mind if they fit.

Regular cab steps would leave an awful lot of my beautiful truck unprotected

Brian

Old 06-13-2017, 04:03 AM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Brian, I think you'll find that nerf bars will provide little protection against door dings. They're simply too low (unless you were to raise the truck significantly and/or all the offending vehicles are Triumph Spitfires).

I'm pretty sure the Sport didn't come with door protection strips, but you could probably add them (although in my opinion it might ruin the clean lines and look).

Random Internet pic

Last edited by OhioLariat; 06-13-2017 at 04:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
brianjbox (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Brian, I think you'll find that nerf bars will provide little protection against door dings. They're simply too low (unless you were to raise the truck significantly and/or all the offending vehicles are Triumph Spitfires).

I'm pretty sure the Sport didn't come with door protection strips, but you could probably add them (although in my opinion it might ruin the clean lines and look).

Random Internet pic
Thanks for the reply and extra info, much appreciated.

The F150 is a big truck over here and I was hoping standard height would have been enough.
I have owned the truck about 4 months now and not seen another around, I guess in the States you've all got mates that have them so it's easier to check things out. I trawl the internet looking at pictures hoping to learn from them, I don't even have a parts supplier to go have a look, everythings got to be brought over and the bits I want are big

So far on my wish list is:

Bull Bar [stainless 3"] they say they are best grade, anyone know if a magnet sticks to them?

Matching Nerf Bars.

The bug/stone chip protector thingy that attaches to the front of the hood.

Some decent mud flaps as my tyres are flicking stones up and chipping paint

I think I'd like to lift it a little but don't know how difficult and how much [£'s] to do it.

I either need a blend door or the actuator as permanently cold, I twist the **** round but can't see the actuator moving. I'm not really smart enough to go through wiring diagrams without messing things up in the process.

A company call Summit Racing I think will ship but that little lot is going to cost me near a £1000.00

Is my truck a common "cheap as chips" motor over there? it's quite rare here and I don't see many pictures of my truck on the net.
I know it's the basic model but that's the perfect one for me, so many of our big flash motors can be picked up for next to nothing because of high maintenance costs, electrical issues that control everything and are unreliable. One that comes to mind is the Range Rover and Discovery, I've owned both, never again

Please feel free to comment, it's the only way I'm gonna learn anything

Brian
Old 06-13-2017, 01:01 PM

To be honest Brian, that picture you posted of the white reg cab, is the first 2dr I've ever seen with the side moldings. I've seen it on SCabs, SCrews, Expy's, but never a reg cab. I had thought about it before, but after seeing it, I'm certainly not going to add it. It honestly looks crappy as hell, in my opinion. Strange. I thought it would look decent. I was wrong. lol
Old 06-13-2017, 01:17 PM

OhioLariat posted the pic but you're right, doesn't work on a regular cab
Old 06-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by brianjbox
Thanks for the reply and extra info, much appreciated.
Absolutely no problem, Brian. That's what these forums are for!

The F150 is a big truck over here and I was hoping standard height would have been enough.
I have owned the truck about 4 months now and not seen another around, I guess in the States you've all got mates that have them so it's easier to check things out. I trawl the internet looking at pictures hoping to learn from them, I don't even have a parts supplier to go have a look, everythings got to be brought over and the bits I want are big

So far on my wish list is:

Bull Bar [stainless 3"] they say they are best grade, anyone know if a magnet sticks to them? -- Unfortunately, "Stainless Steel" is a fairly generic term, so you need to be careful. T304 is a common one used for these types of applications, and will not hold a magnet well if at all. Other grades of stainless have more iron content, and a magnet will stick.

Matching Nerf Bars.

The bug/stone chip protector thingy that attaches to the front of the hood. -- I'd suggest getting clear-bra material applied rather than messing up the clean lines of that sport with a bug deflector.

Some decent mud flaps as my tyres are flicking stones up and chipping paint -- I'd suggest the factory Ford ones, but you'll likely have a hard time finding them. There are some aftermarket "contoured" ones that are "close to match" designs that can look good with some trimming and fitment, but I don;t know if I've seen them in "truck size." THere are always the generic flat-plastic ones, but they always look like an afterthought to me. Better than rock chips, though!

I think I'd like to lift it a little but don't know how difficult and how much [£'s] to do it. -- Yours should be the 2WD version, right? If so, then you can get
spring spacers spring spacers
for the front that are designed to bring its height up to that of the rear. SOme people have found that the truck sets a little nose high afterward (as in https://www.f150forum.com/f6/daystar-1-5-level-311505/ thread), and end up adding a 1" block to the rear. In either case, a front-end alignment is typically required after the mod.

I either need a blend door or the actuator as permanently cold, I twist the **** round but can't see the actuator moving. I'm not really smart enough to go through wiring diagrams without messing things up in the process. -- Searching the forum here will give you some good direction on this problem. It's fairly common from what I've seen.

A company call Summit Racing I think will ship but that little lot is going to cost me near a £1000.00 -- Summit is one of the big names in speed shops here in the US. I was fortunate enough (or cursed, my wallet would say) to live only 45 minutes from their retail store and warehouse in Ohio. I've heard of consolidation shipping outfits that will accept your goods shipments and combine them with a container shipment going over there. I seem to recall someone on the forum here mentioning it for a set of wheels or the like. Not an expedient method, but certainly more economical.

Is my truck a common "cheap as chips" motor over there? it's quite rare here and I don't see many pictures of my truck on the net. -- The "Sport" model is not all that common over here (although obviously more than on your side of the pond!). The main differences are only aesthetics, though, with the Sport having body-colored bumpers and grille/surround, and of course the "blingy" chrome wheels.

I know it's the basic model but that's the perfect one for me, so many of our big flash motors can be picked up for next to nothing because of high maintenance costs, electrical issues that control everything and are unreliable. One that comes to mind is the Range Rover and Discovery, I've owned both, never again

Please feel free to comment, it's the only way I'm gonna learn anything

Brian

Last edited by OhioLariat; 06-13-2017 at 03:04 PM.