Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Need help IDing PCV, vacuum lines & one connector

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Need help IDing PCV, vacuum lines & one connector

I've been rebuilding the 4.2 in my 2000 F-150. I'm nearly done--the engine is reinstalled, but there are several vacuum lines and one electrical connector I can't figure out.

Any idea what this plug connects to? Near the firewall, more or less in the middle.

These two hoses come off the PCV valve at the back of the passenger side valve cover.

These two come off what I think is the vapor canister purge valve bolted to the upper intake. One: the hard plastic barb partially obscuring the trans dipstick.

Two: this yellow vacuum line.

There's also the thing at the back of the passenger side on the upper intake. It has several hose barbs, but I can't figure out the largest, rear-facing one. I'm guessing one of the hoses above connects to it, but I'm not sure.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Will94SC; 09-09-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: adding clarity
Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 AM
FNG

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Look at the following diagram and see if you can pick out the connector...If you narrow it down to the connector code I can look it up for you and tell you where it goes.

Here is the vacuum diagram also:

Old 09-10-2018, 06:30 PM

Thanks. The connector appears to be #14 on your diagram, as verified visually here.

Unfortunately, I can't quite figure out the vacuum diagram. I have a hard time relating vacuum/electrical diagrams to actual bits and pieces on the car. Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but to make sense of it, my brain needs to hear things like "the yellow vacuum line goes from this part to that part." I was comfortable rebuilding the whole engine on my own, but I'm having a friend wire up my new electric fan because it's like Greek to me.

I may go to the junkyard this weekend just to look at other similar trucks and take pictures of the stuff I can't figure out on mine.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

There should be a vacuum diagram on the cover that goes over the radiator and hood latch that shows location of each part and hoses.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 PM
FNG

Couldn't find the yellow line anywhere on my truck. Can you take a pic of where the other end is connected? No need to make a trip to the junkyard...I'll post more picks of mine if you post ones of the connected end it'll be easier to find it on my truck.

Last edited by 54-3100; 09-10-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanks. I should be able to get pictures tomorrow night.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 PM

Okay, more detailed pictures.

These two rubber hoses:

Come out of the PCV valve on the passenger side valve cover:

Do they go to whatever the three-pronged deal on the back of the upper intake is? If so, which hose connects to which barb?

As for the vacuum stuff: There's a red tube and a green tube that come out of the EGR valve control solenoid:

The green one goes to the EGR valve.

The red one goes to this large elbow on the upper intake.

Three more tubes come out of that elbow: One red, one yellow, one black. I'm pretty sure the red one goes to the fuel pressure regulator, but I can't get a picture of that. It's the yellow and black hoses I can't figure out. Does one/both connect to the IMRC controller?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:37 PM

Received 5,557 Likes on 4,634 Posts

Your yellow is most likley white, it has discolored. They all can change colors depending on location (heat). The white that stretch over the engine usually heads over to the EVR and purge solenoid on the firewall around the brake booster for the V8's/V10's. For the V6's it's a little different, they use red (supply) going to the EVR's. I'm not sure which color hit's the Fuel regulator. Well that white (your calling yellow) either routes to the purge solenoid (for EVAP) by the brake booster or possible route to the fuel regulator. I'm kind of doubting white for the regulator but it might.

Btw, -the green is most definitely correct. Hope that helps.

For info purposes. The EVR in the photo above has green and red mini tube vac lines connected up. That is a 4.2L thing only. The V8's are white and green at the EVR. Red is fuel reg and another white is purge at the firewall. The 4.2L's are different engines, ESSEX vs the modular V8/V10 and really deserve their own forum....imo. Like it is at other sites. Although similar, there's differences, enough to warrant their own heading.

Last edited by Jbrew; 09-12-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

On my99 4.2 the black hose coming out of that elbow goes to a T under the solenoid. The yellow one goes around the back of the engine down low. can't see where it connects.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:55 PM
FNG

That elbow on my plenum faces up not down and has a red single line, red double line, and a black line.

The black line goes here

The red single line I think is the same as your yellow one and goes along the firewall to the drivers side shown here

The hoses connect at the front of the plenum...your aluminum one doesn't seem to have the same connection points as my plastic one

Quick Reply: Need help IDing PCV, vacuum lines & one connector